Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    wendyar

Default Archibald Buchanan Stirling, Conservator.

Wondering if anyone can advise where this individual may be buried?? Born 1811 in Milngavie, Stirlingshire to James Stirling, shoemaker/temperance preacher and Janet Buchanan, weaver, he became a well documented anatomical conservator at the Edinburgh University. Although he was still recorded in the 1881 Census in Edinburgh St Giles, he died at "Thankerton and Covington", Lanarkshire on 21 September, 1881, aged 70 yrs. possibly at the residence of his unmarried daughter, Jane E. Stirling, (still living in 1911, aged 68 yrs.) boardinghouse keeper, at "Tinto Glen", Thankerton Village. His sister, my 2xgr. grandmother, Jane Ewing, nee Stirling, having lived with her niece for some years, died there on 19 May, 1906, aged 92 yrs. Her grave cannot be located either.

Research at the university some years ago failed to locate Archibald B. Stirling's burial site. More recent research at the Lanarkshire City Council has also failed to find him in the local cemeteries; nor his sister, Jane or the death of his daughter in the area of Covington and Thankerton, but suggested there may be a family lair in Edinburgh because the family appeared to have considerable means.

I am in Australia so being unfamiliar with many areas, find it quite difficult to find cemeteries in the larger metropolises.

Any further knowledge or thoughts appreciated.

IainCoates

If you wish to find out about any burials in Edinburgh I would suggest making a request via the following site:
    https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/200...burial_records

another possibility is to contact the Scottish Genealogy Society at https://www.scotsgenealogy.com/ Members of this group have documented the inscriptions on many gravestones within the town.

I looked up the CD for Newington Cemetry which I have but Archibald is not listed there.

I am currently researching Robert Stirling (b 1804) branch of this family. They moved to Kirkintilloch and the impact of the temperance movement is still seen through the number of weddings held in temperance halls. Public houses were closed down in Kirkintilloch from 1921 until 1968 and much of this seems to have been instigated by Thomas Stirling who was born in 1904.

I hope this is of some use.

IainCoates

Default Archibald Buchanan Stirling

Having viewed the census records o Ancestry, it would appear that he lived on the north side of Edinburgh. The nearest modern cemetery would have been Warriston Cemetry - you can get details on Wikipaedia. Perhaps he was buried there although you would still need to check with the council. Warriston was opened in 1843.

I'm unclear when/where his wife died perhaps he was buried in the same graveyard as her and could therefore be elsewhere in the country. It appears that he was a gamekeeper in Fife earlier in his life.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello
    Not connected with the burial, a link found that ties in with the Temperance comment above

https://www.scottishbanner.com/scotpo...g06_pourri.pdf
    Searching For Mary MaGregor
    of Comar’s Sister??

wendyar

Default Archibald Buchanan Stirling, Conservator.

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Hello
    Not connected with the burial, a link found that ties in with the Temperance comment above

https://www.scottishbanner.com/scotpo...g06_pourri.pdf
    Searching For Mary MaGregor
    of Comar’s Sister??
    Thanks geneius. I placed that article in the Scottish Banner! It seems so long ago ---- you must have been the only person to read it!

wendyar

wendyar

Thanks IainCoates. I will check out your suggestions. I have done some research on Robert Stirling, b. 1804 and actually located descendants in Shropshire a few years ago. Bob Stirling had just passed over and his widow Joyce provided some information. Also connected with one of their daughters. Do you belong to that family? Do you also have the Rob Roy "yarn" in your family history?

wendyar

Thanks again IainCoates. I do have Archibald's early occupation as gamekeeper. Hoping that this detail will eventually link in with the first husband of his sister, Jane Stirling (Mentioned in first post as Jane Stirling/Ewing); John Murray, gamekeeper. (My 2xgreat grandparents). There is no info available about his origins. Only one mention of him in our records and that is on their son's marriage certificate. There is some evidence that Jean (Jane) Henderson/Stirling died in Edinburgh in 1861 but have not confirmed this yet. Scotlands People will probably have that info. Married in 1833.

IainCoates

Default Archibald Buchanan Stirling

I looked up the will of Archibald Buchanan Stirling and an inventory of his assets today and can confirm that there were two undertakers costs associated with his funeral and a railway cost. Thus his body was taken from Thankerton back to Edinburgh - thus he is most likely buried there. His estate was valued between £900 and £950 which confirms that he was quite well off.

His daughter Jean Elizabeth Stirling died in 1913 as a result of influenza, she did not leave a will.

Jean Stirling's death certificate only indicates one husband - James Ewing who was a calico printer.

I have not located Jean Henderson's death certificate. She was alive in 1851 but dead by 1861 according to the censuses. If she died prior to 1855 there would not need to be any record of the death. Interestingly she seems to be about ten years older than Archibald.

If you want details of what I have found, provide me with an email address and I will send the information I have found across.

Rgds

Iain

I could find death notices and an obituary in several newspapers - none of which mentioned place of burial (BNA). All these notices refer to "A. B. Stirling" rather than the full name.

However, checking "The Scotsman Digital Archive" free search facility (The Scotsman, 26 Sep 1881, search key = stirling), one of the four the text "snippets" (as originally OCR read) returned looks very tantalising i.e. -

"The I<ATE MB 4-B - Grno.iKG. - The funeral of Mr Stirling took placol to...."

The original might well read -
    "The late Mr A B Stirling - The funeral of Mr Stirling took place today(?)....".

To view the original requires subscribing (there is a 2 day package).

All somewhat speculative? Even if it refers to A B Stirling, no guarantee location of burial specified (but would be unusual not to?).

Worth a shot?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Omitted link - apologies.
    archive.scotsman.com/search/advanced
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast