Powerstock

Default Albert TILTMAN - HMS Black Prince

Can anyone help with information about Albert Tiltman, HMS Black Prince, who died at Jutland in June 1916? Our Parish is researching all 11 of the men on our war memorial who did not return from WW!. Grateful for any background information about his service career, family etc.

Since you seem to have posted a message about each of your 11 soldiers, I think it would probably be more satisfying for you if I explain how I got the information on Mr Travers that I've given you.

I first went to the CWGC site HERE, That gave me his rank, number & ship. For a soldier, it would give his regiment. It also gave the names of his parents, but this doesn't also happen.
    I went to FreeBMD HERE, and checked for his parents' marriage, which gave the maternal surname.
    I checked Ancestry (your library should have a subscription, or be able to tell you where the nearest available subscription is) for medal rolls, naval records, etc. You can also do that for the Army.
    There are other sites such as Find My Past (FMP).

I then went back to Ancestry, armed with his age and parents' names and residence and started searching for the family in the census. Oddly, I couldn't find the family in any census on Ancestry, but they were on FMP's copy.

If I was going to take it any deeper, i'd probably search old newspapers.

Find My Past - WW1 Naval Casualties
    Albert Tiltman, born 26 Oct 1878, died 31 May 1916, born Bridport Dorset, body not recovered for burial, killed or died as a result of enemy action, rank P.O, service R.N, wife Susannah Elizabeth, Nettlecombe Melplash, official no. 177951 (Po), HMS Black Prince, Sdrfnbr (?) 39199,

Western Times, Friday 14 Feb 1913,
    Marriages
    TILTMAN-GALE - Feb 3, at the Parish Church Powerstock, Albert Tiltman of East Street, Bridport to Susannah Elizabeth Gale, of Nettlecombe, Melplash
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Henry Richard GALPIN also married a GALE

https://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/bri..._list_1916.htm
    Last edited by geneius; 06-04-2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: History link

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

his service record can be downloaded from here for a small fee

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=D7140357

Powerstock

Thank you very much for this helpful advice.

Powerstock

Thank you very much.

The crew list for HMS Black Prince at the Battle of Jutland.
    https://www.jutlandcrewlists.org/black-prince