Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Dennis Vowles b. 1808 in Warwickshire

Can anyone help me find my ancestor Dennis Vowles. He was transported on the Woodbridge arrived NSW 1840. He then disappeared. I can't find him back in in Britain, so I expect he stayed downunder.
    I've had people on the Warwickshire forum here looking, about 4 years ago. I'm hoping someone can help me now.
    You can see this thread for the information I have. Since then I found out that the Dennis who died in 1863 in England was not "my" Dennis.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...-born-abt-1809

Thanks in advance
    Shay

A fountain of knowledge

Im not finding anything on him tho i did find this ..

The Sydney Herald reported that the convicts of the Woodbridge would be taken to Norfolk Island in consequence of there not being sufficient room for their reception at their intended destination. During their stay (at Norfolk Island) they were to be employed on the public works. On the 14 March the Sydney Gazette reported that eighty of the men of the Woodbridge had been sent on the Augusta Jessie to Norfolk Island and the remainder of them sent to the different works in the interior.

I wonder if looking at Norfolk Island might be worth while.

https://www.jenwilletts.com/convict_s...ridge_1840.htm

Thanks for this info shippo. I'll check it out. I was also given some information that he was given a pardon but if I understood correctly it wasn't the kind that he could leave the country!

Shay

janbooth

Hi Shay,

Ancestry has "List of Convicts with Particulars" record for Dennis VOWLES which reads as follows:

"VOWLES Dennis, Aged 29, Reads and Writes, Protestant, Widower, 2 sons and 1 daughter, Native Place Worcestershire, Cabinet Maker, Offence: Stealing a plated cup, Tried at Warwick Assizes on 27 March 1839, Sentence 10 years, No previous convictions, 5' 5" tall, Ruddy complexion, Brown hair, Chesnut (sic) eyes, Mole on left cheek another on right side of chin and large raised mole on back of neck, 4 blue dots inside lower right arm, scar on ball of right thumb, D V and anchor inside lower left arm, scar back of left hand and another on knuckle of forefinger of same, mark of a burn outside left knee"

Brings him to life somewhat, doesn't it! Perhaps you should be looking somewhere in Worcestershire for his birth.

Ancestry also have a record for him on the Prison Hulk Justitia dated 9 May 1839 which shows him as aged 30, Offence: Stealing a Tankard, Married, a Carpenter, Gaoler's Report: Convs before Bad in every respect, Disposed of to NSW on 30 September 1839

Janet

janbooth

Another piece of information from Ancestry's records. There is a Ticket of Leave record dated 27 December 1843 which states that Dennis VOWLES of ship Woodbridge, Master: DOBSON, Year 1840, tried at Warwick Assizes on 27 March 1839 and sentenced to 10 years has been allowed to remain in the district of Goulburn.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Hi Shay,

Ancestry has "List of Convicts with Particulars" record for Dennis VOWLES which reads as follows:

"VOWLES Dennis, Aged 29, Reads and Writes, Protestant, Widower, 2 sons and 1 daughter, Native Place Worcestershire, Cabinet Maker, Offence: Stealing a plated cup, Tried at Warwick Assizes on 27 March 1839, Sentence 10 years, No previous convictions, 5' 5" tall, Ruddy complexion, Brown hair, Chesnut (sic) eyes, Mole on left cheek another on right side of chin and large raised mole on back of neck, 4 blue dots inside lower right arm, scar on ball of right thumb, D V and anchor inside lower left arm, scar back of left hand and another on knuckle of forefinger of same, mark of a burn outside left knee"

Brings him to life somewhat, doesn't it! Perhaps you should be looking somewhere in Worcestershire for his birth.

Ancestry also have a record for him on the Prison Hulk Justitia dated 9 May 1839 which shows him as aged 30, Offence: Stealing a Tankard, Married, a Carpenter, Gaoler's Report: Convs before Bad in every respect, Disposed of to NSW on 30 September 1839

Janet
    Thanks Janet, the description was given to me before and you're right it doe's bring him to life. I don't understand the bit about the Prison Hulk Justita. It must be wrong because according to this site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...h_prison_hulks
    "Vice Ad. Richard Onslow seized the Zeeland seized from the Dutch by at Plymouth on 4 March 1796. She was renamed Justitia in 1812 and broken up in 1830, when her name was transferred to Dolphin. "

I also have information that he arrived on the Woodbridge in 1841. Names in the ships log With the discription you gave.

I Wonder what this means?: Gaoler's Report: Convs before Bad in every respect

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Another piece of information from Ancestry's records. There is a Ticket of Leave record dated 27 December 1843 which states that Dennis VOWLES of ship Woodbridge, Master: DOBSON, Year 1840, tried at Warwick Assizes on 27 March 1839 and sentenced to 10 years has been allowed to remain in the district of Goulburn.

Janet
    Any idea if there is any where to find info of him in Goulburn?

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by shaygriff View Post
    Any idea if there is any where to find info of him in Goulburn?

You could try TROVE our online Australian newspapers. I have had a look and cant find him but you might have more luck.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Do you have parents names for you fella? Most Australian death indexes have parents names if the informant of death knew their names.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by shaygriff View Post

I Wonder what this means?: Gaoler's Report: Convs before Bad in every respect
    Im assuming it means convictions before and his behaviour report is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by shippo View Post
    You could try TROVE our online Australian newspapers. I have had a look and cant find him but you might have more luck.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Do you have parents names for you fella? Most Australian death indexes have parents names if the informant of death knew their names.
    His father is Joseph Griffiths and mother Elizabeth (nee Rogers, also married before Stewart) both lived in Birmingham England

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast