Starting to feel at home

Question Descendants of William Pwllyfan Jones (1870)

My grandfather was one of around 18 to 20 children born to the prodigious William "Pwllyfan" Jones (b. 1870 Brynamman, Carmarthenshire) and Elizabeth "Rhiwddu" Thomas (1874-1937) of Glyn Road, Lower Brynamman, Glamorgan.

I would like to hear if anyone has information about the marriages and descendants of their children, viz.

Maggie or Margaret G. (b. abt 1896 Brynamman, Carmarthenshire)
    Annie Mary (b. 1897 Brynamman, Carmarthenshire)
    Evan John (b. 1898 Brynamman, Carmarthenshire)
    Sally (b. abt 1901 Brynamman, Carmarthenshire)
    Edna Maud (b. abt 1903 Brynamman, Glamorgan)
    Doris (b. abt 1904 Brynamman, Glamorgan)
    Tom Elwyn (b. 1905 Brynamman, Glamorgan)
    Evelyn Rhonwen (b. abt 1907 Brynamman, Glamorgan - 1937)
    William Syril (b. abt 1908 Brynamman, Glamorgan)
    Oswald Raymond (b. 1909 Brynamman, Glamorgan - 1979)
    David Meryn (b. abt 1910 Brynamman, Glamorgan, possibly died soon after birth?)
    Lizzie (1910-1911 Brynamman, Glamorgan)
    Meurig Wyn (b. abt 1910 Brynamman, Glamorgan)
    Edryd (b. 1914 Brynamman, Glamorgan - 1982)
    Meiros (dates unknown, probably b. in or after 1911 Brynamman Glamorgan)
    Eirwen (dates unknown, probably b. in or after 1911 Brynamman Glamorgan)
    Glenys (dates unknown, probably b. in or after 1911 Brynamman Glamorgan)
    Beryl (dates unknown)
    + around 2 other babies who died at birth or soon afterwards

As the births straddle the county border at the River Amman in Brynamman, this topic is cross-posted in the Glamorgan forum.

I have closed the Glamorgan thread to avoid duplication of effort. I can always transfer the thread to General Welsh if you prefer, but most people will see the thread via New Posts anyway.

Please remember also that any information about people who could possibly still be alive must be sent via Private Message
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Starting to feel at home

Thank you, Sue. "Glamorgan" encompasses nearly half of Wales' population at the time! Since the family all have their origins in Carmarthenshire, that county will do fine.

Point noted re. living relatives; will comply.

My problem, though, is that although nearly 20 siblings were born and alive 100 years ago, it's remarkably hard to get information about any of them! We're talking about my late father's many aunts and uncles, but I know next to nothing about them, except the names on 1901 and 1911 Censuses and some further names from another branch of the extended family. Ghosts little able to haunt, but the recent past is also silent, I guess.

There is a public tree on Ancestry. Most of the siblings have no further information but the tree owner seems to be descended from Tom Elwyn so you might like to get in touch.
    Sue Mackay

Starting to feel at home

Thanks again, Sue. I have now looked at that Public Tree, and have been in touch with its owner. I have also made my own tree public. 6 siblings down, 12+ to go!

If they were going to have as many children reaching adulthood after 1911, couldn't they have had the decency to choose a less common surname than Jones?! They were also staunch chapel goers, so no marriages or baptisms in the parish records, and no MI surveys published for their graveyards, yet. I've picked up some useful tidbits from Welsh Newspapers Online, though. (But I wish the OCR technology coped better for indexing!)

Glad to hear you are getting somewhere. Glamorgan Family History Society have published a lot of MIs for chapels and do free look-ups for members, or you could take a trip to their research venue at Aberkenfig one Wednesday
    Sue Mackay

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, Sue. I'll be sure to make the trip down the M4 one Wednesday, if not for this family, then for others in C19th Llangiwg.

As to the family of William and Elizabeth, it's now 15 down, 3 to go. When I started out a few weeks ago, all I had was the 1901 and 1911 censuses and the names of 4 other siblings from a tree prepared for another branch of the extended family.

Here is how I've pieced things together thus far:
    (1) finding William and Elizabeth's grave gave me their dates of death. As only 1 Brynaman graveyard has a published MI survey (rectifying this will probably consume my retirement, if I get one!), I had to search high and low to find the relevant headstones.
    (2) but armed with these dates I was able to consult the relevant microfilmed copies of the Amman Valley Chronicle at Carmarthen Library (the National Library of Wales would have charged £10 for posting 2 sheets of A4).
    (3) the Chronicle enabled me to work out a full list of the children and their spouses, as well as some grandchildren at Elizabeth's funeral in 1937 (largely, as it happens, from the list of floral tributes at the very end of the obit).
    (4) the names did throw up a couple of surprises, so I enlisted the help of a lady who had lived in the same street as the family since the mid '20s: she managed to iron out a couple of mysteries.

So now, I know from (4) that the three remaining children left for Birmingham and London in the late '30s/early '40s. I know they all subsequently married, but are now no longer alive. The next step is to find one of the at least 4 surviving offspring of the original clutch of 18 children to tie down the remaining questions.

So, to sum up:
    I started with my grandfather's name to order a birth certificate to find out who my great-grandparents were. I then looked at the censuses, and obtained a family tree for a collateral branch. I asked for help from this forum, before heading out to the graveyards, the library and the neighbours. I hope to get some real stories of the 18 children once I talk to one of my father's cousins.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello - My Maternal Grandfather was Evan John Jones - My mother can supply me with the full details if you need some information