Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Death Certificates Ceylon

I am trying to find the death certificate of Frederick George Fulcher b 1904 in Meikltila Burma and died, I think in Ceylon somewhere between 1909-1913. His Father Ernest Thomas Fulcher was in the Ceylon Defence Force.

Knowledgeable and helpful

GRO in Southport have births, deaths and marriages for British & Commonwealth cits in colonies and other overseas possessions. You could try them:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
    ELWYN

Reputation beyond repute

In practice it isn't easy to track down this sort of thing. Are you familiar with this Research Guide? I doubt if there's much chance of GRO being able to help because your man was both resident in a colony and not in the British Army. However, if you want to try them, don't let me put you off.

I would have thought the India Office collection might be a good bet. Digitisation is outsourced to findmypast. I don't know how far they've got.

Other than that, the registration should be with the Sri Lanka registration authorities. The Mormons have microfilmed some Sri Lanka civil registration records. It might be worth looking through the catalogue and if you find the right one you could order the microfilm to view locally.

Hi Peter thanks tried the GRO but they just redirected me to an automatic questions and answering site and said no more action would be taken re this enquiry

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Gengrant. I’m also looking for Ceylon British residents. Did you get anywhere? I found a lot of information in the Ceylon Fergusons Directory, it was published most years and had everything from sports club committee memberships to personal addresses, company lists of employees/nature of business, civil service, and Ceylon defence force lists etc. Most of the available years on line (free) have searchable pdfs. Also the Colombo Anglican diocese has a list of many British BMDs that someone typed up in their library apparently - I think it’s about 500 pages. I haven’t accessed it yet. Did you find out about Major Fulcher? I’m researching Edward Albert Bartlett who was in Colombo from 1904 until he died there c1950. He and his wife and daughters stayed with the major at Sunny Lawns Broxbourne on visits to England in 1937. They may have just known each other socially from Colombo but they must have been close friends to stay with him. I can’t find Edward’s war record and he’s not listed on the CDF or CDVF - was the Major back in Europe in the Middx Regiment during WW1? If he was perhaps that’s the clue I need to search for Edward there. Any info appreciated. Thanks

Default Sunny Lawn

Re Edward Albert Bartlett. I see by his shipping records that he was a Merchant and as Ernest Thomas Fulcher was the Quarter Master for both the CDf and The CDVF they might have had a professional relationship. Also Ernest was a member of the Masonic lodge of which your Edward could have also been a member I have sent you a personal email