nickdalton

Default Wells family in Kent and Sussex

Hi there to the friendly sounding people of British Genealogy.

My name is Nick Dalton as you may have guessed from the cryptic username.

I'm looking into both sides of my family tree, one being Wells and the other, obviously, Dalton.

Both families were from SE England and I am back to:

John Wells, b 1826 at Isfield, married Ann Colman of Firle b about 1827.

Any help would be very welcome.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Nick Dalton
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 27-04-2014 at 6:54 PM. Reason: Phone number removed - you can share it via the pm system

FredP

Default Wells family

Hi Nick

I don't know whether this will add much to what you already know.

The John Wells/Ann Colman marriage was in 4th qtr 1846 Brighton 7 471.

In 1851 census he was Baker aged 26 b Isfield living at 4 Tidy St. Brighton, with Ann, 23, dressmaker, children John W. 3, and Alfred W. 7 months, and sister Nelly 17 b Isfield.

In 1841 census he was 15, with brother? James Wells 10, at John Gregory's baker shop in Upper Bedford St. Brighton. Ann Colman 14, was at Mepham Green, Herstmonceux, Hailsham District, Sussex, with father? Thomas 58, mother? Lucy 40, and Caleb 12, Ely (?Eliz) 10, Thomas 7, David 3, Edwin 7mths, all b Sussex.

I have not been able to locate with certainty any other members of the Wells family in either census. When I tried Nelly in 1841 I came up with Eleanor, same age, but definitely not her.

Have you any other pre-1837 information? Actual locations in Kent for instance.

Good luck, FredP.

kermie62

One of the best sides to first go to is the LGS site.

I have the following with a quick scan

John Wells father Jacob Wells married Ann Colman father Thomas Colman 20 Dec 1846 Saint Nicholas,Brighton,Sussex,England

Children

Name: Alfred Walter Wells
    Christening Date: 13 Jul 1851
    Christening Place: Brighton, Sussex, England

Name: Alfred Walter
    Christening Date: 1851
    Christening Place: SAINT PETER, BRIGHTON, SUSSEX, ENGLAND

There are a few more in Family search and my first steps would be to order the marriage certificates and films from LDS to look at the original records

kermie62

Other possible children

Name Events Relationships Preview
    Frederick James
    England, Sussex, Parish Registers, 1538-1910
    christening: 31 January 1864 St Peter's Church Brighton, Brighton, Sussex, England
    father: John Wells
    mother: Ann Wells
    Emma
    christening: 16 September 1855 St Peter's Church Brighton, Brighton, Sussex, England
    Charles Frederick
    christening: 5 August 1861 St Peter's Church Brighton, Brighton, Sussex, England
    Clara
    christening: 9 January 1859 St Peter's Church Brighton, Brighton, Sussex, England
    Anna
    christening: 17 July 1857 Wisborough Green, Wisborough Green, Sussex, England

FredP

Now that I know his father was Jacob Wells I have found further info on John Wells' siblings.

In 1841 Jacob Wells was 35 working and living at Paper Mill in Isfield with wife Sophia 35. Neither were born in Sussex.
    Children living with them were all daughters, Betsey 12, Ann 10, Sally (not Nelly as given previously) 7, Eliza 4, and Charlotte 2, all born in Sussex.
    I have not found Jacob in 1851, but Sophia Wells (says married, not widow) 47 was Paper Maker at De Langley Row, Chartham, Kent. It says born in Lewes, Kent! She is with daughter Charlotte 11, b Isfield, son William 6, b Maidstone, and son Walter 1, b Chartham.
    Betsey Wells 22, lived alone at 4 Union Street, Maidstone where she was employed in a paper mill.
    Anna M Wells 19, b Isfield was house servant at Priory Crescent off High St, Lewes.
    Eliza Wells, 15, b Eastfield (sic) was house servant lodging at Regent Hill, Brighton.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

LGS site.
    = www. familysearch.org

This site has digialised the most of Parish Registers = PR's ( original source) or Bishop Transcripts = BT's ( transcription of the PR's) of Churches now worldwide......it is the UK main source of information pre 1 July 1837 when the current registry system commenced

You may also like another free site for birth / marriage / death www. freebmd.org.uk

FredP

Here is a bit more to add to my previous post.

In 1861 census Jacob Wells 59, b Isfield, Sussex, is with wife Sophia 57, b Loose, Kent, and son Walter 10, b Chartham at Perryfield St. Maidstone.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Jacob and Sophia WELLS circa 1800-1870

Just registered on this site after finding this thread regarding my WELLS family. If the researchers are still looking into this family, and would like any more information, please reply with any questions.
    My research covers this WELLS family quite extensively, but we are allways hoping for new leads, especially WELLS living ancestors. We have 2 DNA results in the public environment at the moment.
    I am currently looking into Sophia’s family, hoping to finally identify her ancestors and siblings.

Loves to help with queries

Hello Nick,

My grandmother’s maiden name was Wells. I’ve got the family going back into the late 1700’s or so.
    Her line came from the Paddock Wood area, but branches out to to neighbouring counties.
    If you see, Thomas and Hannah (Martin) Wells in around the 1840’s in the Kent area, it may be the ones in my line.
    Some of the more closely associated surnames are Colborne, Martin, Bellini, Marsh and Homersham.