thewideeyedowl

Post St Luke's Wesleyan Church, Hoylake

St Luke's was built some time between about 1880-1900, when Hoylake and neighbouring West Kirby were being developed. One of the people who developed the area was my great-grandfather Joseph EZARD, a staunch Methodist and 'Master Builder'. I believe that either Joseph or his wife, Jane Elizabeth EZARD, my great-grandmother, may have laid the foundation stone for this church. Is it possible for anyone who lives in the area to check whether there is indeed a foundation stone and if it bears either of their names? (I live far from the Wirral.)

Before the building of a proper Methodist church in Hoylake, services were held at Brig House, King's Gap (the Ezards' home) until the old Mission Hall at the corner of Chapel Road was purchased for £500. I gather that St Luke's was a bigger, better replacement for the Mission Hall.

The information here I have gleaned from a local newspaper report of my great-grandparents' Golden Wedding in 1924. Unfortunately, it does not give specific dates for the building of St Luke's but it does say a great deal about Joseph and all he did. (This man was a power-house!)

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Owl

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have a look at this website

https://www.stlukeshoylake.com/#/History

They seem to be on facebook Twitter

thewideeyedowl

Thanks, geneius

Yes, have now checked out the St Luke's website and the dates on their 'History' page approximate to those I can figure out from the old newspaper cutting. (I don't do Facebook or Twitter; but have considered Twitter - have got an old thread on it somewhere.)

What I am trying to find is the St Luke's foundation stone. A bing search brought up John Owen's eclectic Wirral website: https://vwlowen.co.uk/index.htm - it's a wonderful mix of history, weather webcams, all sorts! Have contacted him on the off-chance that he might be able to help.

Will keep you posted on progress with the foundation stone.

Owl

PS Does anyone who is reading this live in Hoylake?

jac65

Hi

There is a publication that might interest you. Yesterday's West Wirral Part Two 1860-1960 by Ian Boumphrey A pictorial history including Hoylake, West Kirby, Greasby, Caldy and Meols with over 550 photographs/graphics and timeline + index and graphs

If you google Yesterdays Wirral Boumphrey you will find the authors website. I have a number of his publications but not this particular one.

Andy

thewideeyedowl

Default Memorial stone at St Luke'sChurch, Hoylake

A friend very kindly took some photographs when visiting Hoylake last autumn, including this one:

One plaque, out of view in this photo, says 'Wesley Guild', which is, I believe, the women's organisation within the Methodist Church. The names you can see in the photo - Mrs J Ezard is second, left - are most probably those of the Wesley Guild members at that time.

And just now, when searching through a recent family DVD of official wedding photographs, I chanced upon one of a memorial cake trowel, which had this inscription:
    PRESENTED
    BY
    THE TRUSTEES TO
    Mrs J Ezard
    on the occasion of her
    LAYING
    A MEMORIAL STONE
    OF THE
    WESLEYAN CHAPEL
    HOYLAKE

JULY 13TH 1897

So, perhaps, this was the trowel that commemorated the laying of the stone in the photograph above?

I still feel doggedly certain that, in 1960, I saw a foundation stone in the wall of a church building. Perhaps I have been confusing the two small towns - Hoylake and West Kirby. (And if I have, please accept my apologies for any wild-goose-chasing that has been going on.) Interestingly, West Kirby Museum have sent me a photograph of people watching the laying of the foundation stone for the Methodist church in WK in about 1902 - and I can spot my great-grandfather in the front row and his daughter (my great-aunt). But there is no sign of my great-grandmother Jane, so my guess is that she is the person doing the laying of that particular stone. Does that stone survive, and has anyone got a picture of it????

But at least the emergence of the little silver cake trowel and the memorial stone in the Hoylake photograph are progressing this thread just a little bit .

Owl