Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    bobdunford6

Smile John Dunford and Sons, Carters

trying to find more about my great grand father and his three sons all carters working in liverpool
    mainly at liverpool docks .a very well known family,
    his name was john dunford born 1778 ,lived and done busines at ryans place,20 naylor street st marys parish liverpool,beleive his father before was a carter,Source Gores Directory 1827,john dunford born 1778 died 1837 at titchfield street ,but still doing busines at naylor street,his sons john dunford thomas dunford,william dunford all carters carried on untill 1880 in liverpool ,his family doing his family tree would like to know more about them ,driving them horses through busy street of liverpool some one must remember them ,from bob dunford,

richard40

Team Owner/Haulage contractor, Carter, team driver or later motorman/lorry driver.

bobdunford6

Quote Originally Posted by richard40 View Post
    Team Owner/Haulage contractor, Carter, team driver or later motorman/lorry driver.
    all my family were carter.s before 1800 to about 1880 my great grand father had a house, stables, carts ,at 20 naylor street liverpool ,i beleive there is a carter association which keeps records of carters of liverpool,and have one a reward for having records of 250 years ,so i am hoping they have my father john dunford born 1778 ,who worked on the liverpool docks and all over liverpool,then his sons took over,

richard40

I read the original question as a request to ascertain the difference of Team Owner/Haulage Contractor of the age, and Carter/ Drivers of Teams, most hauliers of heavy goods had teams of horses, I have seen photo's of heavy trees being hauled by teams of 8 horses in line, these needed very experienced drivers.

Hello Bob
    Because you have been trying to find out about your Dunford family of carters for quite a while and have asked for help on other forums you will most likely have these links to sites about carters in Liverpool already but I will post them in any case.

https://susannaforrest.wordpress.com/...s-association/

https://www.catalystmedia.org.uk/issu...orse_power.php

https://www.scottiepress.org/gallery/cartarc.htm

https://www.liverpoolmonuments.co.uk/...ts/carters.htm

https://www.liverpoolhistorysociety.o...wsletter34.pdf

General History "Liverpool, The First 1000 Years" author Arabella McIntyre-Brown

Because we are all working from material we find on line I do think it is highly unlikely that we will be able to find any new information for you. However you now have your family's name out there on the internet and who knows, in the future someone may just hit on your posts when they are doing some research on the same subject. Hopefully it won't be too far in the future.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

robert peter

Trying to find the Marriage of John Dunford Born 1789 And his Wife Martha Dunford do not know her Maiden Name,Thought it would be easy, I have were they lived for years all his Children were Baptised at St Mary Church, they send me the Baptism List
    John Dunford Born 21 October 1812 Baptised at St Mary Church, 25 October 1812 Father John Dunford Mother Martha Dunford
    Thomas Dunford Born 17 February 1815,Baptised at St Mary Church 19 Feb 1815 Father John Dunford Mother Martha Dunford
    William Dunford Born 17 Feb 1818.Baptised at St Mary Church 22 Feb 1818,Father John Dunford Mother Martha Dunford
    Catherine Dunford,Born 12 January 1821,Baptised at St Marys Church Liverpool 14 Jan 1821,Father John Dunford Mother Martha Dunford
    James Dunford Born 6 Nov 1823 Baptised at St Marys Church Liverpool 23 Nov 1823.Father John Dunford Mother Martha Dunford,
    Helen Dunford Born 30 December 1824 Baptised at St Marys Church Liverpool 23 January 1825
    they all lived at 20 Naylor Street Liverpool his Occupation was Carter ,He owned the House and Stables with a Yard,worked i believe mainly for Liverpool Docks,in 1927 he moved to 2 Titchfield Street to be nearer the Schools for his Children,But still owned 20 Naylor Street for his Work,he Died in Titfield Street in 1837, but his sons John /Thomas/William took over,Now we have the Names ,Dates, for his Children and Himself 1789 to 1837,but cannot find his Marraige or Martha Maiden Name,Please can you Help,

Name well known on Brit-Gen

robert peter, welcome to BG forum

There is another thread about this family on thsi site, 8 pages long

https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...hlight=dunford

I have looked for the marriage and cannot find it on line, this may be due to the Parish Register you need not yet being digitalised!

When digitalising the records, the licensees do a spread so that each parish has a representation of records on line.....but not necessarily the one you are looking for!!!!

If you google.co.uk John Dunford of Liverpool you will find at least 10+ listings for this family bobdunford seems to be the main poster

By all means come back to us after you have read the other gleanings on line

robert peter

i have been told there is list of carters of Liverpool ,if i had the full Name and Address they would find it for me .is this true i know they have just been given a Medallion shield , for keeping the records for 250 Years,of all Carters of Liverpool ,Well i have his Name John Dunford, Where he lived and had his Stables 20 Naylor Street Liverpool .Carter all his life ,His Sons were carters as well ,toldhe was well know ,worked mainly for Liverpool docks,Please can you help,

robert peter

Quote Originally Posted by bobdunford6 View Post
    trying to find more about my great grand father and his three sons all carters working in liverpool
    mainly at liverpool docks .a very well known family,
    his name was john dunford born 1778 ,lived and done busines at ryans place,20 naylor street st marys parish liverpool,beleive his father before was a carter,Source Gores Directory 1827,john dunford born 1778 died 1837 at titchfield street ,but still doing busines at naylor street,his sons john dunford thomas dunford,william dunford all carters carried on untill 1880 in liverpool ,his family doing his family tree would like to know more about them ,driving them horses through busy street of liverpool some one must remember them ,from bob dunford,
    just from ancestry aid found marriage of john dunford to martha in 1811,st marys church liverpool martha age is 21 years old given her birth as 1890.born liverpool,john dunford born 1778,waiting to see certificate,if this is true andwe know that his first child was john dunford born 1812 at naylor street liverpool st marys parish ,could john and marth have moved into 20 naylor street in 1811 after their marraige ,or did he own the property before his marriage,it seems to be coming together if its true, canthis be checked by british genealogy ,is their away .as i am just a amerture

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast