Titanicfan

Default XP to Vista Upgrade

Hi all

Can any computer experts please help me with some advice...

I currently have Windows XP on my laptop and I am very happy with this old system but it seems that Windows support for XP will be stopping soon and I wondered - do I have to install Vista instead (as my laptop is old but is Vista capable) when Windows support for XP stops because it is unsafe to continue with XP after this time or is it still okay to continue using XP without Windows support? I am really happy with XP even though it is an old system and I don't really want to change this unless I have to.

Any advice would be most welcomed.

Thank you.

thewideeyedowl

Default Non-technical thoughts on this one

Hi Titanicfan

I'm not a techie so shouldn't really be answering this.....

From what I have read, over the years, in general computer problem pages, e.g Rik Maybury in the Daily Telegraph, it would probably be OK to continue with WinXP simply because the nasties out there would not be interested in targeting it since the number of users is declining. If you had a hardware problem, you would need to find a local computer engineer to fix it, which could be expensive. (And he/she would most likely say that the old laptop isn't worth spending on...Grrh.)

I have no experience of Vista, other than that it has had a very bad press. My one and only descendant (26) has used it without any problems, if that is any help. That was on a new laptop, not as an upgrade.

As you will know, the Microsoft's current OS is Windows 8, which is replacing Windows 7. It would be expensive - (programs might need to be replaced) - and quite a learning curve, to start using it on a brand new laptop, but probably worth it in the long run. The trouble with all things techie is that development does not stand still - always going better, faster, forward. But in our researches we are going backwards!

Now I hope someone with computer expertise will have a go at an answer.

Cheers

Owl

Ken_R

I'm sticking with XP. I've got Vista on the laptop and simply can't get on with it.

Regarding Windows 8, I'm oft hearing tales of people dumping it and going back to Windows 7. In fact, I was recently told of an organisation, on re-equipping their system, specified Windows 7 in preference to 8.

Your problem, with your old machine, is whether the hardware and firmware will be able to handle to new software.

If you want some knowledgeable advice, without the Geeks and Nerds, join the Ultimate Handyman Forum and pose your question there. They are mainly trades people but I know that some build/have built, their own computers.

Michael Duke

I would'nt call going from XP to Vista an upgrade, stay with XP the most stable platform windows have produced so far, best regards

Titanicfan

Thank you all so much for your very helpful advice. I will stick with XP and hopefully I can keep on using it until XP is not acceptable to be used with other programs. I have very good security on my laptop so hopefully I should be protected somewhat. As my laptop is already Windows Vista capable when I bought it - I will only upgrade to this if I have to!