Brock

Default Simple & plain family tree programme

Hi All,

For several years now I have used Family Tree Maker on my computer using a software disc dated 2005. I have always found this programme to be very easy to use. It had all of the functions that was required for such a computer programme & I loved the ease of use & it's simplistic format.
    We have just had a new computer which runs on Windows 8 & unfortunately, Windows 8 isn't suitable to work older software programmes & so I have had to buy the latest version of Family Tree Maker which does allow usage with Windows 8. It loaded like a dream & I have been able to download my full tree to the programme but I have found that I don't like using the newer version of the programme at all. Family Tree Maker has changed so much since 2005 & the newer versions are so colourful & fancy & allow a great many more functions than the older versions but that's not what I want at all. I have given myself time in the hope that I would get used to it & settle down to use it happily but that isn't the case at all.
    I wonder, does anyone know of a very plain & simplistic family tree programme which runs on Windows 8 which I could transfer to? If only my old software would still work!!

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Brock

I have been using FTM 2006 and like you just changed to a computer with windows 8 (tho changed to 8.1)When I loaded FTM 2006 there was a message saying compatibility issues and a help option. The help option said that FTM 2006 was incompatible with my computer. However there was also an option which said run program without help - so I did that and (so far anyway) it has worked perfectly. I (somehow) moved all my data over onto a new version of FTM 2006 loaded on the new computer and am able to continue just as before.

I don't link my tree to Ancestry however so I don't know if that would work. And have no idea if FTM 2005 will act in the same way. But poss worth trying.

I have Windows 8.1 and am running both FTM 2005 and FTM 2011 side by side as they each have features I like. As Grisel says, when I started 2005 for the first time on WIN 8, it started the compatibility issues screen, I agreed to whatever it suggested (can't remember what, it happened to several bits of software that weekend), and have had no troubles since. Like Grisel, I don't sync my trees with Ancestry, however.

What happened when you tried to install it?