Thread: Exciting

jennyadams

Default Exciting

Hi there. I have been looking for somewhere just like this and really excited to find the site. I have been reading all sorts of things on here this afternoon and decided I had to join. Sounds like so much fun, lots of help and very welcoming.
    I started my tree in the early 1980's as I grew up in an orphanage and knew very little about any family. Then I had my children and the tree slipped away for a few years.
    Ive now had to retire due to an injury and find myself pretty much house bound. The family tree has become my life saver and almost an obsession. I have made some friendly contacts at libraries and through volunteer searches which has been good.
    Hope I can help others and am willing to take on board any advice or information anyone is willing to share.
    Jen

Welcome to Brit Gen! We're a friendly bunch (there's even a sub-forum for general chat) who enjoy helping with brick walls (this is the only place I've ever seen someone complain that info was arriving too fast!). It's always good to have new experienced people, as well.

Have a wander around and see what interests you, and dive in!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Ive now had to retire due to an injury and find myself pretty much house bound. The family tree has become my life saver and almost an obsession. I have made some friendly contacts at libraries and through volunteer searches which has been good.
    Hey Jen, I can almost relate to your quote there. I am so thankful for genealogy everyday for giving me an avenue of escape & a venue for building my family of which I knew nothing in UK other than two Uncles of my Mother. I've had a rollicking time in the last 20 + yrs with the advent of internet. Now have a Family I love with branches in Canada, NewZealand UK USA, & Australia & where ever the heck they all went.
    Kept me sane, probably/possibly, (I think) matters not, I AM as is my FAMILY. who ever they be & where ever.

I so hope you find more concrete leads to your original Family along with those with whom you grew up.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by jennyadams View Post
    The family tree has become my life saver and almost an obsession.
    Oh boy have you come to the right place to meet other obsessives!

Hope I can help others and am willing to take on board any advice or information anyone is willing to share..
    Helping and sharing is what we are all about and it is done with grace and wit by all our members so don't be afraid to jump in to the fray.

Enjoy

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Welcome, Jenny. Most of us here are FH addicts so you're in good company.

Hatshepsut

G'day Jen...welcome to the friendliest genea site on the net. There are quite a few Aussies on this site and we are all obsessed/addicted with genealogy...you will fit right in!

jennyadams

Thanks for the welcome. I might even need some Qld. help sometime soon. I have been lucky enough that most of my lot stayed in Sth Aust., but now finding a few who have jumped the borders.
    I'm learning to juggle with balancing the road atlas on my lap while dealing with all these English and Scots. Having a ball!

Hatshepsut

Jumping across borders seemed to be a favourite past-time of my ancestors too! Have you discovered the National Library 'Trove' web-site? Some of my ancestors were what could be called 'media-tarts' so I have found lots of interesting info about them. Give it a try....you never know what you will turn up. It has newspapers from every state going back to the 1800's.

jennyadams

Quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsut View Post
    Jumping across borders seemed to be a favourite past-time of my ancestors too! Have you discovered the National Library 'Trove' web-site? Some of my ancestors were what could be called 'media-tarts' so I have found lots of interesting info about them. Give it a try....you never know what you will turn up. It has newspapers from every state going back to the 1800's.
    I'm afraid I am a 'Trove' addict. So easily distracted by interesting stories. Don't know that I would be so generous as to call mine media tarts, more like total villains. There are some amazing stories in my tree. You got any ideas where I might find Qld electoral rolls?
    Jenny

Hatshepsut

Qld electoral rolls....uuummm The Family Search of Latter Day Saints might be a place to try. Or perhaps local Qld library records.