Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default RootsIreland.ie Help Needed

I have a set of six siblings by the name of Hume. The first two (Eugenie and Alice) were born in Lurgan and Lurgan or Curragh respectively. But, the younger four (Edward John, Roderick Stuart, Thomas Ross and Claude Lionel) were all born in Armagh from 1883 to 1888. I've seen (on RootsIreland) that there is another child - Louise Florence born 1890 in Armagh.

The children's father (Edward) was a serving soldier and all seven appear in a list of Army Births and Baptisms with the note "87th Regiment".

Does anyone know what information I will get by viewing the record (cost 25 credits) on the website to confirm if Louise is the same family? All I really need to know, at this stage, is whether Louise has the same parents (Catherine and Edward) as the others. If she doesn't I put it down to 'coincidence'!

Any advice welcome, and thanks.

AudreyF

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,do you have Edwards army service record ?

Yes, I have his service record which shows his marriage to Catherine O'Hanlon and shows his postings to be right for the births of the children. Is there anything else I should look for?

Audrey

Famous for offering help & advice

Free bmd have a death for a Louise Florence Hume age 0 , Sep Q 1890, Croydon. No corresponding birth so could well be her.

Famous for offering help & advice

On the free search you can specify parent's names. In this instance, using Edward and Catherine, the 1890 birth returns one hit, so most likely yours.

OK, so it looks as though little Louise Hume who died in Croydon in 1890 was not born there - or elsewhere in England and Wales.

So, she COULD be the Louise born in Ireland.

I'm not sure what to do with this information yet - can I confirm it anywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyF View Post
    I've seen (on RootsIreland) that there is another child - Louise Florence born 1890 in Armagh.

Does anyone know what information I will get by viewing the record (cost 25 credits) on the website to confirm if Louise is the same family? All I really need to know, at this stage, is whether Louise has the same parents (Catherine and Edward) as the others. If she doesn't I put it down to 'coincidence'!

AudreyF
    It depends on whether it’s a baptism or a transcript of the birth cert. The baptism will probably give just parents names, address (maybe) and witnesses. You usually get more from the civil birth certificate.

Looking at the Irish civil indexes on familysearch, it looks to be Louise Florence Hume registered Armagh city Jan – Mar 1890 Volume 1, page 28. You can order a photocopy of that from GRO Roscommon for €4.
    ELWYN

Elwyn,

Thank you. I have to say that curiousity got the better of me and I paid 5 Euros for the credits to view the record on the Irish website. It confirmed Louise Florence Hume born 8th January 1890 and baptised 30th January 1890 in Armagh. Home address Barrack Hill. It confirmed her parents, father's occupation and informant. (Just in case anyone else is wondering what the records show).

I have the birth certificate for one of the other siblings but now wonder how best to get the records for the others. 4 Euros for the birth certificates against 5 Euros for birth/baptism information. Is there a form to fill in for Roscommon and how do I pay the 4 Euros - is it an online service?

Audrey

pippycat

Audrey

The info your after is on this site - hopefully the link to Roscommon will work!

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/GRO_Fees.aspx

or email: groATgroireland.ie

Rebecca

The link worked but there does not seem to be an option to buy the cheaper photocopy certificates on line so I have sent them a question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast