Scone

Default Looking for another Gardiner/Gardner family

Hi

Here I am again looking for another of my Gardiner families who left Bisley in Gloucestershire for Canada. This one is William George or George William Gardiner b. 1879. What I do know is that he married Alice Birt in 1906 and at sometime traveled to Canada. Their eldest 3 children were born in Canada George Charlie and Alice she was possibly born in 1912.

I know they returned to England at sometime as their 4th child Albert was born in Llanelly Wales in 1918.

I have searched the passenger lists and have found a possibility i.e. William Gardiner and wife (I can't make out the initial) on the Corsican 19th May 1910 destination Quebec but I don't know how to search for disembarkation or where they went from there. I have also tried searching for the births of the children with no luck.

It's possible William/George followed two cousins who also traveled to Canada - Ernest George Gardiner in 1911 and enlisted in Waskada 1916 and returned to England after the war in 1920 and Wanford Gardiner in 1915 and who returned to England in 1915 to enlist. Its possible William/George may have done the same however I haven't been able to find any evidence of this.

Any help anyone can give I will be grateful for.

On FreeBMD there are two other births for children Gardiner mother's maiden name Birt before Albert's birth in 1918. A dau in 1914 and a son 1915. If these are children of William G and Alice Birt then it redefines the time frame of William George's return to England.
    There is also a birth with same parents names in 1919 but in Stroud Gloucestershire which I see is where William and Alice married.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A William [35] and Alice [34] Gardner sailed from Bristol to Quebec on the Royal Edward, but date of departure may be too late for your folks ........23 Aug 1913. William was in the farming industry

Scone

Hi

My thanks to you both I shall follow up the leads you have given. Stroud is the registration district of Bisley although sometimes its also Cirencester. The names of the children I have after Albert are William and Phyllis I have found Phyllis's marriage in 1933 but have had no luck with their births so far - the hunt continues.

Birth on FreeBMD

Births Dec 1/4 1914
    Phyllis M GARDINER mother's maiden name Birt. Registration district Newport M. vol 11a page 640

I can't see one for a William 1911 - 1930. There is a Wilfred a couple of years after Alfred's birth.

William may have been born prior to 1911 which is before FreeBMD give the mother's maiden name and there are quite a few of them! Or might he have been born in Canada?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Scone

Hi Christina

Many thanks I have now found Phyllis's birth but haven't been able to find the one you mentioned for Wilfred. The information I have came from my parents who spoke to Alfred some years ago before his death and he didn't mention a brother called Wilfred only William. However from the way the information was sent to me via e mail from my dad I had assumed Phyllis was younger than Alfred when clearly she wasn't so its possible he got the name wrong. I've checked with my mother and she's fairly sure it was William but given all the confusion with their father's name George William in the census and William George on his marriage cert its anyone's guess. What I have found from this is that the family returned from Canada before Phyllis's birth and for some reason lived in Wales before returning to Gloucestershire. All very interesting thank you for your help.

olcodger

Hi Try the 'Gloucestershire bmd' site, which is sometimes more use than 'freebmd'. Best wishes. Hope you have some success.
    Malcolm J

Scone

Hi olcodger

Many thanks for your responses yes I have tired your suggestions without much success - however I shall keep trying.