barryxe

Default London tailors: Wm. McAuliffe & John Cleary

I recently found a marriage certificate of my wife's ancestor Patrick Cleary who married Margaret McAuliffe in London 25 Dec 1852. The certificate shows that Patrick was a tailor, as was his father, John, and Margaret's father William McAuliffe. Since Patrick was born in Ireland, John also likely was born in Ireland. However, Margaret was born in England but don't know the origins of her family.

I have been unable to find either a birth record of Margaret who was born in England, nor any census records, or directory records of the fathers, John Cleary or William McAuliffe.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Barry

Hi Barry
    what are the ages of Patrick and Margaret on the marriage certificate. Also the witnesses names?
    Do you have Margaret and Patrick on the censuses after their marriage if so can you give us the piece, folio and page number because I am having difficulty finding them.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

barryxe

Patrick was 22 and Margaret was 17, the residence of both was No. 17 Dorset St. (the street made famous later by Jack the Ripper). The marriage entry shows the marriage taking place at the Parish Church in the Parish of Christchurch, although ancestry describes it as Spitalfieds Christ Church with St Mary and St. Stephen. Patrick and Margaret emigrated in time to have their oldest daughter born in New York about 1855.
    The witnesses appear to be: 1) John Carrols and 2) Martha Gavenny.
    In the later US census from Ohio, Patrick is shown as born in Ireland, and one record shows Tipperary, and Margaret born in England. They were both active in the Catholic church in Ohio. The first census shows Patrick in Delaware, Ohio as a tailor.
    Barry

In 1851 he appears to be living with his brother Thomas
    HO107; Piece: 1524; Folio: 163; Page: 68 (TNA Crown Copyright)
    Somerset Street, Aldgate
    Both journeyman tailors, born Ireland
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Knowledgeable and helpful

Margaret appears in the '41 with father William, a tailor and family (spelled McAuliff), aged 5
    Source Citation Class HO107, Piece 697, Book 6, Civil Parish St George Middlesex Folio 47; Page 37; Line 5 Copyright TNA

There is also a Margaret McAuliff, a servant aged 14, born Kilmarnock Ireland, in the '51
    Source Citation Class HO107, Piece 1510, Folio 528, Page: 13 Copyright TNA

barryxe

Thank you to Sue Mackay and Carolchipp--those appear to be the appropriate ancestors. I now know Patrick had a brother and William McAuliffe's wife's first name. The members of this site have been very helpful.
    Barry

The 1841 census that Carol found also shows 5 year old Margaret as having younger siblings, Denis (4) and Catherine (2). All three children are shown as not born in county (ie Middlesex) but without the I for Ireland that William and Mary McAuliff have by their names. This led me to hope that Catherine at least might have a birth certificate, as civil registration started in 1837, but sadly I can't find one!
    Sue Mackay

barryxe

I'm not sure of the county classifications system back in 1841, but there are 3 Catherine's born between 1839 and 1841--one born in St James Westminster, one in West London, and one in Strand. Would each of those been classified as born in county in the 1841 census?

You must have better search techniques than me I can only find Catherine McCauliffe (with an extra C, which is why she didn't show up on my first wild card search) b Jun qtr 1841 Strand, but that would be too late for a 2 year old on the 1841 census.

Sudden thought: Did the enumerator mean 2 months instead of two years? The census was taken the night of 6th June. However, I would expect Strand to be classified as born in county.

A list of London Registration Districts can be found here.
    Sue Mackay

pippycat

I wonder if this Catherine might be a contender for the West London birth?

1841 census: 728 book 5 f10 p12
    Elliots Court, St Sepulchre

Florence Mcauliffe 1811 Ireland
    Catherine 1816 Ireland
    Bridget 1796 Ireland
    Thomas 1830 West London
    Catherine age 15 months West London.

Family search states St Sepulchre is part in London and part in Middlesex.

Freebmd has 2 entries for Catherine McColiffe June Q 1840 Wt London v2 page 203 and page 223
    The image is all blackened and the darkest part is over the details for Catherine!

Rebecca