Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You could order the death certificate from Here for the death registered in 1899 using the details on FreeBMD which means the surname is Johns not John. Then specify that the wife's name must be Mary and possibly the husband's occupation grocer but not necessarily so. If the wife is not Mary then you will get a refund.

Deaths Jun 1/4 1899
    Joseph Johns age 66 Pembroke vol 11a page 618
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

gasser

My grandfather was Joseph Taylor JOHN. His father Joseph was the rugby player.
    Son Joseph Taylor John aged 16 in 1901 with widowed mother Mary Ann......
    Is it just me being thick or what? How can someone play rugby 1907/1909 who supposedly died in 1899

janbooth

There is this Non-conformist baptism on Ancestry from St Florence Independent Pembrokeshire register:

"Joseph the son of William JOHN by Jane GRIFFITHS his wife, now of Jamestown Manorbier, lately of Old Pound? Pencilly (Pencelli??) was born on the 28th April and baptized on 22 May following in the year 1834"

Now, I don't know if this could be a red herring or not, but given the Brawdy connection there is another Non-conformist baptism on 23 November 1823 at Brawdy, Trefgarn Independent or Congregational of a Thomas JOHN son of William & Hannah JOHN. Another baptism at Brawdy to the same couple this time of an Allet JOHN who was born at St Lawrence Ludlow on 28 July 1826 and baptised at Brawdy on 3 September 1826, and yet another, this time a Sarah JOHN born at St Lawrence Ludlow on 7 December 1831 and baptised at Brawdy on 29 January 1832. Yet a couple more, both born at Ludlow but baptised at Brawdy Independent, Ann born 2 January and baptised 2 March 1834 and James born 14 April and baptised 23 May 1836 but no Joseph. Intriguing, as there is obviously a William JOHN having children baptised at Brawdy around the time of your Joseph's birth!

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by gasser View Post
    Son Joseph Taylor John aged 16 in 1901 with widowed mother Mary Ann......
    Is it just me being thick or what? How can someone play rugby 1907/1909 who supposedly died in 1899
    No gasser it is me also. John, great grandfather would have been 74 years old too if alive so a bit old to be playing club rugby.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

I think Ancestry have their churches muddled a bit! On further investigation, it looks as if St Lawrence is actually in Pembrokeshire not Ludlow as Ancestry have transcribed it. Sorry for any confusion. Strangely, I do not appear to be able to find this family in the 1841 census at the moment to see if there is a Joseph with them but will keep looking.

Janet

gasser

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    No gasser it is me also. John, great grandfather would have been 74 years old too if alive so a bit old to be playing club rugby.

Christina
    Definitely! More likely his son, but Roy says otherwise (no offence here Roy!) The rugby club claims to have formed in 1885 and Joseph John(s) would have been in his 50's then! Could Joseph just have had 'connections' with the club through sponsorship or similar, seeing as he had been quite well off? Anyway, this is going off Roy's initial quest in find Joseph's birth record, which is proving to be a task in itself !!
    Gail

ROY JOHN

Default THANK YOU ALL

Thank you all so much for all your efforts.
    I am sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but you are all correct Joseph Taylor played rugby for Neyland, you gather senility is creeping up here.
    There was a Joseph John aged 10 living in Lochvane which is only a few miles from Brawdy in 1841. He was living with a Mary Howells a farmer, but I don't know of any link between them.

once again my thanks to you all.

Roy

Orielbenfro

Joseph John was buried in Section D plot 74 on the 16th May 1899 at Llanion Cemetery.

Sections A-G now form the circular feature of headstones at Llanion and are placed in no particular order, so require a long walk to see if the headstone still exists.

From my book on the Headstones of Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock (Closed to new burials from 1868, except for family plots) there are 2 William John buried there 1 in 1858 aged 77 (believed husband of Sarah) and 1 in 1884 aged 72.

Since there is no Joseph John baptised in the established church in the Dewisland Hundred circa 1833, it would appear most lightly that he is N-C.

Rgds
    Owen Ap Benfro

Orielbenfro

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    "Joseph the son of William JOHN by Jane GRIFFITHS his wife, now of Jamestown Manorbier, lately of Old Pound? Pencilly (Pencelli??) was born on the 28th April and baptized on 22 May following in the year 1834"
    Janet
    Given that all mrge pre Sept 1837 had to take place in the established church irrespective of faith followed, the following may well be the mrge of William & Jane ;
    William Johns a widower and labourer married Jane Griffiths at Penally 27th June 1829

Rgds
    Owen Ap Benfro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12