DJohnston

Default William Johnston Royal Sapper and Miner

Hoping someone can help. I am searching for my Great Great Grandfather, William Johnston. He left Scotland at age 20 and is listed on the 1851 England Census at St. Mary's Woolwich, borough of Greenwich as a Private with the Royal Sappers and Miners. He was born in Mochrum, Wigtownshire, Scotland. He married Christian Lawson 12 Mar 1855 in Scotland and the marriage certificate lists him as a soldier with the Royal Sapper and Miners. He had a son James Johnston born 18 Nov 1855 (my Great grandfather) who in turn was born in Dunfermline, Fife Scotland. They had a daughter Mary born 11 Sept 1862 and a son William. I haven't found the son yet. Christian Lawson died in 1871 and James came to the US in 1871 at the age of 15. I need help finding my Royal Sapper GGGrandfather. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Brit-Gen

I have given your post a thread of its own which means it will be more visible to more members.

When you say you are searching for William just exactly what are you looking for? Do you want to go back or to find him after Christian's death or both?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs