Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cwease

Question Hello! Researching Dewsbury Hinchcliffs

I have several names in my research, most recently I have:

Titus Hinchcliff, father listed as a "Mark Hinchcliff" but I cannot find anything further.
    B:1759 in Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England
    D:1811 in Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England

Titus was married to Betty Wilson B: 25 Sep 1767 in Scarborough, Yorkshire, England
    Marriage was 1784 in Dewsbury.

Most of my data comes from ancestry.com, and I do have a family history put together which specifies that his son, John Hinchcliff
    B:10 Apr 1789 in Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England
    D:14 Jan 1856 in Carterville, Williamson, Illinois, United States

brought his family to the States and his son, William Hinchcliff
    Birth 28 FEB 1818 in Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England
    Death 22 AUG 1859 in Williamson Co., IL

is my 3rd great-grandfather, on mother's side.

So my question, what is with the Dewsbury connection for so many Hinchcliffe and Hinchcliff families?

Are there any cousins out there to connect with, who are searching for far-flung cousins, too?

Thanks for helping, and I will post other names and information as time goes by. I appreciate all the help board members provide to each other.

Cwease

janbooth

Can you tell us how have you ascertained that the father of Titus was a Mark HINCHCLIFF as there does not appear to be a baptismal record for him on Ancestry that I can find and his marriage record in 1784 does not show a father's name. There is a witness named Mark HINCHCLIFF on Titus's marriage record but that could perhaps be a brother. Had you noticed that there is a baptism for a Mark HINCHCLIFFE on 29 April 1747 at Dewsbury, father James HINCHCLIFFE. Three other baptisms at Dewsbury for children of James, namely John in 1748, George in 1753 and Susanna in 1760 which leaves plenty of room for a Titus between 1753 and 1760.

I note on Titus's marriage record that he was a Clothier and on the marriage record for a Mark HINCHCLIFF in 1791 at Dewsbury his profession was also shown as a Clothier - perhaps another connection?? Although having said that, the profession of most of the males in the marriage records on that page is that of a Clothier!

Not having much luck tracing any record for Titus before his marriage but will keep looking.

Janet

cwease

Like I said, most of my info is from Ancestry, and the family histories. I saw the marriage document, and perhaps someone thought Mark was the father, so they listed him as that, hence the comment about Mark as Titus' father.

I appreciate your help and quick response last night. Thank you for any assistance, and if there are any look-ups on Ancestry I can do for members, please let me know.

Cwease

janbooth

It could be worth trying to see if there are any HINCHCLIFFE wills available to view online. As your family were Clothiers there is a chance that one, or more, of them may have left a will. I see that British Origins, which is a pay per view site, have a Wills Index from the Prerogative & Exchequer Court of York 1688-1858 but you have to have a subscription to view the Index.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by cwease View Post
    I have several names in my research, most recently I have:

Titus Hinchcliff, father listed as a "Mark Hinchcliff" but I cannot find anything further.
    B:1759 in Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England
    D:1811 in Dewsbury, Yorkshire, England

Titus was married to Betty Wilson B: 25 Sep 1767 in Scarborough, Yorkshire, England
    Marriage was 1784 in Dewsbury.
    I've had a look at the marriage in 1784 (21 April), and two things struck me:

First, Titus is described as a Minor, in other words aged under 21. This would indicate a birth in 1763 or later - and given the apparent lack of a baptism record with father Mark in 1759, this might suggest investigating other possible baptisms/fathers for Titus. (You haven't said where you obtained the information about father Mark and 1759 - if it's not from a primary source it might not be very reliable.)

Second, the marriage entry doesn't say anything about Betty Wilson's origins except that she was of Dewsbury at the time of the marriage, and, incidentally, also a Minor. In English terms, Scarborough is a long way from Dewsbury, even though both are in Yorkshire, and with Betty (Elizabeth) and Wilson both being common names, I would think it far more likely that she came from somewhere closer at hand. Again, I'd want to ask what your evidence is for the suggestion that she came from Scarborough - I rather suspect that someone unfamiliar with Yorkshire geography found a baptism in the IGI which looked to be about the right time and just assumed it was the right one.

Finally, I probably don't need to tell you, but it may help others whose searches lead to this topic, that HINCHCLIFFE is but one variant of the surname - others include HINCHCLIFF, HINCHLIFFE and HINCHLIFF, and probably a few others too.

Arthur

janbooth

Further to what Arthur has suggested in the post above, had you considered, and discounted for some reason, the baptism at Dewsbury on 16 May 1766 of a Betty WILSON daughter of John WILSON (source Ancestry's West Yorkshire Parish Register Baptisms). This falls within the timescale of being a minor at the marriage date of 1784 and I cannot find another marriage on Ancestry's West Yorkshire records for a Betty WILSON at Dewsbury until 1803. This would appear to me, unless you have other corroborative evidence, a more likely candidate for the Betty WILSON who married Titus.

Janet

Nicolina

I haven't come across a Titus in my research and, at the moment, do not have access to all of the ones I've found but I'll see if I can help as soon as possible. As Arthur mentioned, in post #5, there are a lot of variations of the name, so keep an open mind when looking for them.
    I descend from John HINCHLIFFE, born abt. 1776, through his daughter Amelia (1817 - 1883) who married John SCHOFIELD at Rotherham Parish Church on 25th March 1841. I also have two other branches but have not linked them together.

What's your source for Titus being the father of John? A john Hinchcliffe son of Titus was buried 18 Mar 1798 at Dewsbury All Saints

I think it may be more helpful to you if we start from what you know to be absolute facts; and you referencing the sources from where the info came, we can then help you to go back methodically one step at a time.

Nicolina

John HINCHCLIFF, son of Titus & Betty, was christened at All Saint's, Dewsbury on 13th April 1789. They were living at Ossett at that time.
    Titus HINCHCLIFFE, son of Titus & Betty, was christened at All Saint's, Dewsbury on 28th December 1795
    Abraham HINCHCLIFF, son of Titus & Betty, was christened at All Saint's, Dewsbury on 17th April 1786
    Elisabeth HINCHCLIFF, daughter of Titus & Betty, was christened at All Saint's, Dewsbury on 25th July 1784 (did she die before 1791?)
    Elizabeth HINCHCLIFF, daughter of Titus & Betty, was christened at All Saint's, Dewsbury on 8th March 1791
    Martha HINCHCLIFFE, daughter of Titus & Betty, was christened at All Saint's, Dewsbury on 9th April 1798
    Susanna HINCHCLIFFE, daughter of Titus & Betty, was christened at All Saint's, Dewsbury on 25th July 1800
    Sarah HINCHLIFF, daughter of Titus & Betty, was christened at All Saint's, Dewsbury on 23rd March 1794

Nicolina

it looks as though Titus, born 1795, died and was buried 18th March 1798. A further son Titus HINCHLIFF was christened 2nd February 1809, also at All Saint's, Dewsbury.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast