Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A john Hinchcliffe son of Titus was buried 18 Mar 1798 at Dewsbury All Saints
    This is my concern, Nicolina, unless another baptism can found apart from the April 1789 one. We do need more info from cwease telling us how he got back to John [1789] son of Titus

I'm finding records on Find a Grave [Illinois] which do fit with born Dewsbury and father Titus, e.g. corresponding baptisms in Dewsbury, father Titus, fitting with names and ages at death. Don't think that sentence makes a lot of sense, sorry.

I'll explain in a mo when I've collated names and other info

Nicolina

if John was buried 5 days after the christening then there definitely seems to be something wrong.
    I'll try a few more searches tomorrow but we definitely need to have more info. because this is one confusing family (as I found out personally) with all the different spellings and the use of the same Christian names.

Here's a little more info, but as Nicolina says the Hinchcliffe's of Yorkshire are not easy, especially when trying to establish who belongs to who, as so many H families use the same first names.

Joseph Hinchliffe, 27 Dec 1802 Dewsbury, All Saints, son of Titus.

Web: Illinois, Find A Grave Index, 1809-2012.

Joseph Hinchcliff, born 11th Jan 1803, died 15 Mar 1841.

__________________________________________________ _______

Titus Hinchliff bap, 2 Feb 1809, Dewsbury All Saints, son of Titus.

US census 1850 has John Hinchcliffe a farmer, [61] wife Mary [58] both born England, living Williamson Co. Illinois.

Living a few doors away is:

Titus Hinchclife [39] farmer born England, his wife Emeline [36] Susan E {16], Edith [15], Louisa [10], James [6], Sarah E [2]. Wife and children all born Illinois.

cwease

Thank you to all for the info. I do have a family history which begins with William coming to the US. Anything else I have come up with is through Ancestry. As I have found, researching so far back, from this side of things, can lead to MUCH conflicting information.

I appreciate the names and may be able to make further connections with the additional info. Nicolina, thank you so much, and to all.

Is the naming of additional children with the name of a deceased child a common idea? I'm sure that is where confusion sets in.

We have moved house, so it has taken a long time to get back on line and respond to postings.

Cynthia

cwease

The name variations are definitely an obstacle to so many searches. Is there a name variant in the UK, and Yorkshire specifically, which is more prevalent?

Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia

cwease

Find a grave, and I think from a few family histories I read on line. I will try to find the notes I made and submit.

Thank you for sharing!

Cynthia

cwease

Find A Grave is a good site.

Just an idea, but there should be some kind of "universal" law or database people can consult to make sure that only one name - in a certain spelling or form - can be given to one person. Anything else is automatically rejected and one has to choose something else.

It would certainly make genealogy easier.

Sorry for the metaphysical wonderings...!

Cynthia

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William Hinchcliff

I know it has been awhile since you posted this thread but I was wondering if you found any info on William Hinchcliff? My great-grandmother was Jennet or Jennie Hinchcliff with a twin sister Emma, their fathers name was William. All I know about him is that he was from Yorkshire and perhaps a musician before coming to America. His wife's name was Sarah, the twins were born here, in Illinois, I believe.

LAvila, welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    The OP hasn't been back since 2014. If she is still using the email address that she registered with, she'll get an automated message saying that that has been an answer to this thread and she may return.
    Or someone else may recognise the people...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12