Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Northern Ireland - BDMs

Some on-line sites contain what is described as the indexes to births, deaths & marriages in Ireland 1845 to 1958. In my opinion, not all are sufficiently clear that whilst these records contain the indexes for the Republic of Ireland until 1958, they don't include the 6 counties of what is now Northern Ireland after 31.12.1921.

If you are searching for a birth, death or marriage in Northern Ireland (Cos Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry, & Tyrone) after 31.12.1921 you will not find it on-line. You need to contact GRONI (the General Register Office) in Belfast. GRONI have announced that they intend to put their records on-line sometime in 2014 but no firm launch date has been given. Until then you need to contact them on: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro
    ELWYN

I think that this post will help a lot of people, so I'm going to stick it to the top of this forum.

Please limit any comments to extensions of the information.

Starting to feel at home

are ther any sites for the 1700' unable to get further than 1800?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Birth & death registration only started in Ireland in 1864. Non RC marriages were registered from 1st April 1845 onwards and RC from 1864. So you won't get a birth, death or marriage certificate for the 1700s.
    ELWYN

Starting to feel at home

thank you I knew there was no registration I just thought there might have been another way

Starting to feel at home

there used to be a book on Christ church gravestone and inscriptions but unable to get