Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Loveridge

Here's details from one of the Ancestry trees.

Cornelius (1833), Weston under Penyar, son of James (1799 - 1839) born Stanford in the Vale, Berks and Susan Loveridge born 1802, Kingham Oxfordshire, died 1870 London. Susan and James married 26 Feb 1821, Oxfordshire.

Reuben Loveridge (1837), Forest of Dean, son of William (1796) Cherrington Warwickshire and Rosanna Jeffs (1796), no record for marriage, or baptism for Rosanna.

William and James were the sons of James Loveridge (1763 - 1840), Cuddeston Oxon/oakley Bucks? and Mary Mills who married 1798, St Marys Aylesbury Bucks.

If you subscribe to Ancestry it could be worthwhile for you to contact the above mentioned tree owner. If you aren't a member of Ancestry you can gain access to the database via your local library, however I am unsure whether family trees can be viewed via the Ancestry library edition, if not, another option is Mundia (Google), where I believe you have to join, at no cost, and can then view Ancestry's public trees.

janbooth

Those Trees would fit in very well with the information we have previously found, wouldn't they Alma. The marriage I found for William LOVERIDGE in 1830 stated that both he and his wife Rosine HUNT were widowed at the time of their marriage. This could perhaps be the baptism of one of the children from Rosine/Rosanna's previous marriage (source Gloucs FHS Baptismal Index 1813-37):

3 December 1826 at Southrop St Peter Susan HUNT daughter of Jonathan & Rosanna, Licensed Hawker, Coventry

Although having said that, I have just found a marriage on Ancestry's Select Marriages of a William LOVERAGE & Rosanna JEFFS at Stratford on Avon on 24 December 1820 which is presumably the marriage that the owner of the Ancestry Tree has already found - so which marriage is the correct one or could this be William's first marriage given that he was shown as a widower on his marriage at Withington in 1830.

Janet

janbooth

The only gripe I have with the Ancestry Tree that states that William LOVERIDGE father of Reuben is the son of James & Mary who married in 1798 is that William's birth date in the 1851 census is shown as c1786, a full 12 years before the marriage of James & Mary LOVERIDGE. I know ages for Romanies in census records often vary so perhaps that is the explanation. However, I can find no baptism at Cherington for William LOVERIDGE during the period 1785-1802 using Ancestry's Warwickshire PR images. Oh well, over to bebejax now for comments on what we have found.

Janet

Oh well, over to bebejax now for comments on what we have found.
    I agree, Janet.

bebejax, the tree owner on Ancestry has researched the same ancestry as yours, so definitely worth you contacting him/her.........must be one of your cousins/distant cousins.

bebejax

apologies for not being here for a bit, my tower computer went down. got myself a laptop so back on track. Thanks for all info.I am a bit confused tho with 1871 census as this Sarah Loveridge was not born in coleford?? Which site do you go on for parish records and what is FMP site?? I would like to think that my family is related to the Reuben/Cornelius family as they are around thee area that my great grandmother Sarah was born in and they are all hawkers who would have travelled around. I don't have any family around from this branch of my family as my last aunt died last year. the only info I have is from my mum and aunty who remembered great granddad Tom and great grandmother Sarah. They divorced sometime in the 20's with my Great granddad tom living with my grandmother Susan Ellen and Gran Sarah living with her daughter Hester both in Swansea.

I don't suppose there can be any real certainty that I have the right family is there do you think?? I am going to go on the forest of Dean site and see what I can find there. Thanks again for all your help. Are any of you related to the Loverige's??

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Which site do you go on for parish records
    familysearch.org

what is FMP site
    Subscription site findmypast.co.uk

When using google search engoine add the word romany after the name you will be surprised what comes up!!!

janbooth

Don't get too hung up on places of birth in census records especially with Romany families. The 1871 census record would have been based on information from Sarah's parents. Latter census records would have been based on where Sarah thought she was born and if the family moved back to the Coleford area when she was relatively young, as far as she was concerned that would have been her place of birth.

Janet

bebejax

Went on to Forest of Dean site and found birth of Reuben Loveridge 1839 in Cherrington, warks. I think this is my Reuben tho I couldn't find any marriage records for Reuben and Elizabeth. Reuben born in 1839 would fit in with the 1851 census but I can't find a census that ties Sarah with Rueben and Elizabeth??? I am inclined to accept that the Soverett family in the 1871 census is my Sarah's family. Thanks for all your help.

janbooth

That birth/baptismal record for Reuben at Cherington would fit in very well with his father William's reputed place of birth wouldn't it. I think the 1871 census record that Alma found is almost certainly your family. Ancestry appear to have transcribed the L as an S - if you look at Reuben jnr's birthplace it is shown as Lydney and that L is almost identical to the capital letter of the surname, so I think the Enumerator misheard the surname as LOVERETT and this family has a daughter Sarah of the correct age to be your Sarah. The family obviously travelled around the UK and Reuben & Elizabeth do appear to have had a son Elijah baptised at Handsworth, Staffs in 1882 according to Ancestry, so perhaps Staffordshire was one of the counties they visited periodically and therefore Sarah could easily have been born there. Unfortunately, the family do not seem to be on the 1881 census. Maybe they were en route from Cheshire to Staffordshire when the census was taken.

Janet

susanna1212

Wow! I'm related to the Loveridge line (lines) as well. We may be from two totally different families, but I am related to William Loveridge b. 1660 in Wool, Dorset and died in 1696 in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, U.S.A.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast