Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Loveridge

Here's the other family of Loveridges, in the next caravan to Reuben and family. A correction has been made to Cornelius name on the Ancestry index, by a member who has suggested he should be Cornelius Loveridge. So I think we are definitely onto the right folks. Cornelius is entered as born UK, but the above mentioned member also submitted a place of birth: Weston Under Penyard, Herefordshire, England.

Piece: 2926; Folio: 64; Page: 44
    Cornelius Soveritt 30, Basketmaker, UK
    Mary Soveritt 29, Wales
    James Soveritt 13, UK
    Henry Soverett 1, Hay Cosk Green Warwickshire
    Susan Soverett 15, Hay Cosk Green Warwickshire
    Mary Soverett 11, Worcestershire
    Louisa Soverett 7, Walsall
    Eliza Soverett 5, Walsall

It is possible Henry at post #4, could be another brother, see #17.

This is the baptism for Cornelius, therefore either he and Reuben were not brothers, or, the 1851 census posted @ #17 is the wrong Reuben.

Cornelius Loveridge, 22 January 1832 Weston-under-Penyard, Hereford, England, parents: James and Susan

See what I mean about the Romanies being difficult to trace - how their ages etc change from one record to another!

There's baptisms online for some of Cornelius and Mary's children, not sure if you want them?

I'll try to find more about Reuben.

Priscilla Loveridge, baptised 15 Oct 1878, Bebington, Chester, parents: Reuben and Elizabeth.

Also John Loveridge was baptised same place/date.

In 1911 Reuben was living in a house.

9, James Place, Llantrisant, Glamorgan. Reuben and Elizabeth had had 21 children, 13 still alive, 8 had died.

Reuben Loveridge, 73, Tin Plate worker, Gloucester
    E Loveridge, 68, Gloucester
    Manuel Loveridge, 20, Wood Peg Maker, Aberaman???

1901, RG13; Piece: 4998; Folio: 52; Page: 26. In a house, I think it says 28, Thurston Rd, Eglwysilan, Pontypridd

Ruben Loveridge 55, Hawker, Coleford
    Elizabeth Loveridge 53, Parkim
    Tom Loveridge 13, Glamorganshire
    Manny Loveridge 9, Glamorganshire
    Edwin Loveridge 15, Glamorganshire
    Ruben Loveridge 35, Blakeney
    Harry Loveridge 18, Cardiff

janbooth

Well found Alma!! The 1871 census certainly looks to be Reuben and family. According to my Gloucestershire FHS Baptismal Index 1813-37, there are no LOVERIDGE (or variants) baptised at Coleford. However, I'll throw this into the mix given the 1851 census record in post 17: Born 19 Jan bap 26 January 1823 at Preston near Cirencester Eliza LOVERIDGE daughter of William & Janette, Tinman & Brazier, Witney Oxfordshire and another baptised 3 May 1829 at Kempsford St Mary Henry LOVERIDGE son of William & Trinette, Traveller, 29 April 1827 at Southrop St Peter James LOVERIDGE son of William & Trainet, Hawker, Great Wolford Warwickshire. There is also a Charlotte LOVERIDGE baptised at Kempsford on 5 July 1835, parents James & Trinett who are most probably the same parents as above.

There are other LOVERIDGE families who are Hawkers, etc having children baptised in Gloucestershire at this time, namely a Henry & Esther who seem to have Wheatley, Oxfordshire connection, a Joseph & Eleanor and a James & Susan - could this latter couple be the parents of Cornelius, children Eliza 1822 at Bibury, William 1826 at Westbury, Eleanor 1837 at Newent.

Have to go out now, but will investigate further when I get back.

Janet

janbooth

This looks as if it could be the marriage of Eleanor LOVERIDGE daughter of James & Susan. The marriage took place at Bosbury, Hereford in 1855. She was aged 18 and married a John BIRCH according to Ancestry's Select Marriages list. So it looks as if there could be a definite Gloucestershire/Herefordshire connection and perhaps James & William LOVERIDGE were related in some way?? There is also a definite Oxfordshire connection. Re my previous post, source Oxfordshire FHS Marriage Index:

26 February 1821 at Cuddesdon James LOVERIDGE of Wheatley & Susan LOVERIDGE of Wheatley
    17 February 1801 at Banbury Joseph LOVERIDGE, Hawker, & Eleanor DAVIS of Wolford, Warwickshire
    13 March 1820 at Shipton under Wychwood William LOVERIDGE of Ramsden & Trainet DAVIS of Ramsden

So the latter couple of William & Trainet look to be the couple who are having children in Gloucestershire in my post above. Their son Henry is married to a Harriet and are in the 1871 census of Trevethin, Pontypool with their family so are perhaps unlikely to be directly connected to your Reuben. Although having said that, the Henry LOVERIDGE that Alma found in posts 4 & 5 have a daughter named Tranett (or variations of).

Cornelius LOVERIDGE son of James & Susan looks to have married Mary Ann MARSHALL on 31 July 1854 at Upton on Severn, Worcestershire.

Going back to Reuben LOVERIDGE and his wife Elizabeth, I think her place of birth could be Parkend which is part of the Forest of Dean and only 3 miles from Coleford. The only marriage I can find for a Reuben LOVERIDGE so far is a registration in the June qtr 1864 at Westbury on Severn reg district.

I wonder if it might be worth your while to join the Forest of Dean website, which is free, to enable you to search for any LOVERIDGE baptisms or marriages in the area. Certain parishes within Herefordshire are also included so you may just be able to tie up a few loose strands and connect some LOVERIDGE families.

I hope I haven't confused the issue too much for you.

Janet

There are a couple of family tree on Ancestry which seem to include all folks mentioned on this thread. They look like well researched trees and one has photographs of Loveridge's and a marriage cert for Cornelius/Mary Ann Marshall. They suggest Reuben's mother was Rosanna Jeffs, father William Loveride, but nothing to back this up.

It is possible from the trees mentioned above to work out the family relationship between Cornelius and Reuben (the two living next to each other in 1871), I did work out the relationship earlier but I've forgotten what it was, and now don't have sufficient time to look, I think they were either cousins or 2nd cousins. I'll look at the tree later.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast