Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Loveridge

Marriages Dec qrt 1857, Haverfordwest, 11a/1234. George Lynn/Ellen Davies

Can go sideways, forwards, backwards with Lynn/Davies. But to take the Loveridges in any direction with certainty, we need more info.

Maybe your relatives can provide info regarding your grandmother's siblings, but hopefully they can go further back with names.

Otherwise you will need to buy some certificates.

bebejax

Thanks for interest Almach. Yes they are my family. Susan Lynn was my grandmother and george Lynn was an acrobat. He went to America, joined an acrobatic trio, and performed in the Empire Theater in Swansea sometime during 1932/33. I am trying to find out if I can find a billboard relating to this time. I have not had much luck but I am trawling through the local paper of the time to try and find something about his trio. Any advice re theaters or sailing to America in the 20's 30's would be very helpful if anyone can help??. Thanks.

bebejax

Almach, this family looks more like my family as you say Coleford is in forest of Dean and my great grandmother as far as I can find out was born in Coleford. Thanks sooo much for help.

janbooth

Hi bebejax and welcome to the Forum. Ah, the LOVERIDGE surname brings back many happy but frustrating memories from our previous research into that name. Findmypast (a pay per view site) has the actual parish register marriage image of Sarah's marriage to Thomas Henry LYNN which gives both their father's names and professions. I'm afraid I cannot give you any details because FMP do not allow you to do this as part of their conditions, but for about £6 (cheaper than a marriage certificate) you can look at the details for yourself and still have credits left over for any other searches you may wish to undertake.

From past experience I have found it very difficult to trace these families on census records and the majority of finds have come from marriage or baptismal records. But from the FMP record, I can tell you that the LOVERIDGE father's name on the family that almach found in the 1871 and 1881 census records is not the same as on Sarah's marriage record - mind you I would not rule anything out with Romany families as names and ages seem to vary considerably for the same person!

But looking through the other FMP records, there are two male LOVERIDGE marriages with the same father as shown on Sarah's marriage record, one in 1904 at Aberdare and the other in 1898 at Aberaman, the latter actual record having a slightly different surname to that of his Banns record. Looking at these records may give you an idea of the families movements between 1887 and 1904.

Will do a bit more searching.

Janet

janbooth

Bingo! Using the above information, this looks like the family in the 1891 census of Aberdare, Glamorgan (RG12/4446, folio 85, page 34):

Field behind Davies Street
    (in caravan)

Reuben LOVERIDGE Head Mar 45 Hawker of Fancy Goods Gloster Coleford
    Elizabeth do Wife Mar 45 do do
    Reuben do Son S 25 Hawker of Fancy Goods do do
    John do Son 12 Lancashire Tinsley
    Mark do Son 10 Cheshire Birkenhead
    Elijah do Son 8 Warwick Birmingham
    Priscilla do Daur 14 Cheshire Birkenhead
    Thomas do Son 2 Glamorgan Rhondda Valley

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 02-02-2014 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Extra text

janbooth

From Ancestry's Birmingham parish Registers:

19 March 1882 at St James Handsworth Elijah son of Reuben & Elizabeth LOVERIDGE, Queens Head Lane, Tinman, baptised

Reuben (spelled Ruben), wife Elizabeth and family are in the 1901 census of Pontypridd (RG13/4998, folio 52, page 26) and are still there in 1911.

Could this be Reuben in the 1851 census of Cheltenham (HO107/1973, folio 502, pages 25/26):

67 Stanhope Street

William LOVERIDGE Head Mar 65 Tinman Warwickshire Charington
    Rosa do Wife Mar 65 Tin Hawker NK
    Henry do Son Un 19 Tinman Oxfordshire Oxford
    Letitia do Daur Un 16 At home Glostershire Forest of Dean
    Reuben do Son 13 do do do
    Mary Ann do Daur 10 do do Newent
    Patience do Daur 6 do Monmouthshire Monmouth

and could this perhaps be William's marriage (source Gloucestershire FHS Marriage Index):

12 July 1830 at Withington William LOVERIDGE, widower, & Rosine HUNT, widow, by banns

Janet

I did see those folks last night ,Jan, but from memory I couldn't see them before 1891! I found them I think - again from memory - in 1891 and 1901. Really need to find them with Sarah in 1881 and 1871. Let's hope you have more luck, I have to go out now, I'll pop by later and see what's been found. BTW, I also saw the marriage on FMP and as you say Reuben and Co look good.

bebejax

Janet, Thanks for info. I have seen Sarah Loveridge's marriage cert and Ruebne is stated as her father cert but I am confused now as Sarah does not appear in Reuben's family??? Tho Sarah would have been married in 1891. I shall have to see where Reuben was from 1851 to 1891??? Wow, love this site sooo much info which I thought I would never find.
    Thanks for all the help.

It's all tying together now, bebejax, I have found the Loveridge family in 1871 and WITH SARAH.

Address is: encampment in caravan on common, Norton Canes, Staffordshire. RG10; Piece: 2926; Folio: 65; Page: 45

Although indexed as SOVERETT, I'm convinced it's them. The original actually looks like Loverett, which will be the enumerators 'best guess' at the pronunciation used, I very much doubt that Reuben could read or write (many folks couldn't back then).

Reuben Soverett 38, Tinker, Coleford
    Elizabeth Soverett 28, Perkine?? Gloucester
    Susan Soverett 9, Perkine
    Mary Soverett 8, Perkine
    Reuben Soverett 7, Lydney Gloucestershire
    Rosy Soverett 5, Wolverhampton
    Sarah Soverett 3, Norton Staffordshire

There's other caravans on the encampment, one of which is occupied by another Loveridge/Soverett family - could be Reuben's brother, I'll post details in a mo.

Alma

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast