sheilastain

Default Installing new version of Family Tree maker

Hi Everyone
    I have decided to purchase version 2014 deluxe edition of FTM. I am currently 2009 version. Can anyone advise whether I should uninstall the previous version before installing latest version or whether I can install later version after new install. Any advice on the best way to transfer the data would also be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Sheila

I went from FTM v11 to FTM 2012 but left the old version (they are very different) and occasionally look back at it. Not sure how 2009 compares with 11 though.
    I would certainly export my existing data as a Gedcom first and save it somewhere - preferably both on the PC and on a separate memory stick of some sort. You should then be able to import this to 2014 if there is no other way of copying the data.
    Andrew

sheilastain

Thank you for your reply. Sheila

I also have 2 versions of FTM running side by side because I like a couple of features that Ancestry removed... I actually copy/paste FTM files into a different directory before making big changes to keep a data set safe in case anything goes wrong. Too many years invested in them to take chances!