Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DeeGemini2011

Question Joseph Cole, waterman, Lincoln c1804

Hi, I have been searching for info on my 4xGGrandfather Joseph COLE. He was born around 1773 based on his death age but I have no idea where or who his parents were. He married Anne TURNER (although the marriage certificate says Conor) in 1804, Mary BULLIVANT in 1811 and then Mary Madison in 1824 all in Lincoln. He had children baptised in St Swithins Lincoln and is buried in St Swithins cemetery (not sure where). On all documents found he is a waterman so must have done an apprenticeship somewhere but without knowing where he was from I have hit a brick wall. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Dee

DeeGemini2011

Red face

Not sure if it's ok to 'bump' this post but if anyone out there can help me I'd be really grateful. Thank you.

When did he die? I don't suppose he made it to the 1841 census?

I've always found the folk at the Lincoln Archives very helpful. It might be worth asking them what they know about local training...

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It's perfectly acceptable to bump a thread, DG. And is, in fact, the correct thing to do, rather than start another thread which says exactly the same thing as the original post.

Joseph and Ann were married in the days before any of the children would have had their births registered with their mother's maiden name stated on the certificate so just to clarify how you know that Ann's surname was allegedly Turner and not Conor as written on the marriage certificate, here is the entry for the baptism of Joseph junior in 1807. (Third line in from the spine on right-hand page.) https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=517930&iid=480293

Marriage of Joseph and Ann. (bottom left.) https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=630445&iid=422483

Joseph's second marriage to Mary Bullivant. (top right) https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=616573&iid=411581

And third to Mary Madison. (top right) https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=518482&iid=408697

As it doesn't state that the Joseph who married Mary Bullivant was a widower I checked for a burial for Ann, and found Anne (sic) Cole buried St Swithins 12 Sep 1809, wife of a waterman. (FreeREG.)
    Plus Mary in 1818, aged 33, and Joseph in 1830, aged 57.

If you can get to Lincoln on a Sunday or Monday the Lincolnshire Family History Society's research centre is open, and they have fiche listing boatmen and bankrupts with 28 Coles. https://www.
    lincolnshirefhs.org.uk/images/lfhs-publications/PublicationsList.pdf#page=29

I'm fairly certain that they have a database of all their publications into which you can type a specific name (e.g. Joseph Cole) and it will tell you all the occurrences of that exact name. (Though you have to bear in mind that there are still quite a lot of Lincs parish registers which still have to be transcribed. For baptisms and burials 1754-1812 those in the deaneries of Loveden, Louth, Manlake, West Elloe, Westwold and Yarborough.)

Ancestry have the baptism of a Joseph Cole, aged 40 days, son of Robert (a soldier) and Jane in St Johns Wapping on 16 June 1773.

The nearest date Familysearch seem to have is 1771 in Market Rasen, though that Joseph died in 1772.
    Have you tried searching on FreeREG in counties adjacent to Lincolnshire?

The only other information I've been able to find is the baptisms of Joseph's children (FreeREG) which you already have.

Pam

DeeGemini2011

Lightbulb

Hi Lesley. Thank you for your input. Joseph died in 1830 so no census records of him. I live an hours drive from the archives but get there as and when I can and yes the people there are really helpful. So far they've listened to me moaning about Joseph but no one has offered any info on local training so I think I will have to ask next time I'm there.

DeeGemini2011

Pam, thank you for your input.

When Joseph married Anne and then the Marys I compared the signatures on the marriage certificates and they were the same. Joseph's occupation is the same on everything I've found on him so far and he didn't move far from the St Swithins area of Lincoln.

I found a baptism for a Joseph Cole at Market Rasen on 01/08/1771 s/o John and Anne but this turned out not to be him.

I have looked through newspapers and records at Lincoln on hospital, apprenticeships and coroners records but found nothing. In the Boatmen records I found 4x Cole J between 1799 and 1806 with a Cole J being an owner in 1806. I also found Turner W as an owner in 1804 and tried to link these two facts together but couldn't with any certainty. So far I haven't been able to follow through with any records on this.

I have copies of marriage certificates, baptism records and burial records in order to 'back up' what I already know about him and have looked all over the country for Joseph Coles born around that time and have been able to follow many through to the 1841, 51 and 61 census records through their marriages and children.

I will try and get over one Sunday to the FHS and see if they can help any further. I spoke to a lady from there at a show once and bought some discs but so far have not been able to get over to speak to some one again.

Thank goodness I have others to research in order to take my mind off Joseph!! I feel if I can just find out who his parents were and where he came from I could forge ahead.

Thank you once again....watch this space!! Kind regards

Dee

chris63

Hi Dee
    I have just found your tread when searching for information on waterman in Lincoln. Joseph Cole was also my 4x GGrandfather. I descend from his son Charles. I know nothing about him as like you. I did try roots chat to see if I could find out any information but with no luck.

Chris

DeeGemini2011

Hi Chris.

I also come down the Charles line so I'm rather curious to know more on how close we actually are!! From Charles I go through William....how about you? I am also in touch with another descendant of his who lives in Hull although I have not had contact since Christmas.

We seem to have all drawn a blank at Joseph and I don't know where else to look. I've been to the archives and FHS at Lincoln but found nothing so far.

How local are you? I have quite a bit of information if I can help you out at all.

Kind regards,

Dee

chris63

Hi Dee

I am descended through Henry. All I know about the Cole family is what I have learnt via the internet, as my grandfather was an only child.

I have so far only tracked my direct ancestors and have just started to look into them again.

I live in Deepings just outside Peterborough. Have you seen the page on Facebook A Waterways Heritage?

Chris

DeeGemini2011

Hi Chris,

Is Chris short for Christine or Christopher?

I have been at this for a long time now and have lots of information so if you let me know what you have already I will fill in the gaps for you. I don't want to repeat information you may already have.

I live about half an hour away from you and know the Deepings quite well as that is where my fathers family are from. Its a small world! If your line is as I think it may be you are a long way from 'home'.

I haven't seen the Facebook page but will look later. I'm guessing you are on it.... so am I. I tend to get a bit side tracked with names and places (yesterday we were running through cemeteries in Norfolk!!) but keep coming back to Joseph in the hope that something turns up but I just keep drawing a blank....so far.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Dee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast