Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hi Peter,

Yes i have done some reading up on the possibility of Bosher being rewarded with the Manor for supporting William the Conqueror after the conquests. Somewhere the family hit the skids and although some made it in the USA my descendants went East toward London and settled in Wokingham with my Great Grandfather putting an "i" in the name (my first experience with a brick wall) becoming the Grocer at Charterhouse in London.

My hope is to try and work it backwards to Bosherston.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge
    regards Luke

Possible "sightings" of James and George, all from the Reading Mercury under a column headed "Wokingham Agricultural Association" reporting the annual ploughing match/fair

26 September 1840
    CLASS V - To men of 18 years old and upwards who shall have so lived** (not having been hired) not less than seven years successively...........7th Prize of 15s to James Bosher, 13 years in the employ of Mr Heelas

("so lived**" = "in service, and on the same farm, or with the same master, in either of the parishes of the Association, who shall bring testimonials of honesty, sobriety, diligence, and general good conduct" - so definitely no skeleton in the cupboard there!!)

9 October 1841
    CLASS VI - To boys from 12 - 18 years old, having lived in the same service 3 years and upwards ......; 5th Prize, George Bosher, 4 years with Mr Heelas, 5s;......"

30 September 1843
    CLASS II - To the best ploughman.............; 6th Prize 15s to James Bosher, servant to Mr Heelas; boy George Bosher 5s.

CLASS III - Best ploughing, by driving lads.......; 2nd Prize 13s to George Bosher, servant to Mr Heelas

Re Jane Allen - there is a James Allen, age 70, in James' and Jane's '41 household, though, of course, relationship to Head of household not recorded.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thank you Helachau,

Well not much has changed in my lineage as i toil away on the farm, just nice to know i am doing it for myself and not for a Mr Heelas. It would seem Heelas was a very industrious family way back then. I have actually visited the farm George laboured on- had no idea his father worked on it too.

according to my 11 year old son the name George was only used in the UK since King George 1st in 1714, not sure how accurate this info is but if true it would mean i wont have to plough away at too many more Georges on my quest,

according to my 11 year old son the name George was only used in the UK since King George 1st in 1714, not sure how accurate this info is but if true it would mean i wont have to plough away at too many more Georges on my quest,
    Bless the little fellah! but sadly not true, there were many George's born in the UK in the 1500 and 1600's, and probably before then.

BTW, King George 1 of Great Britain was born and died in Germany May 28, 1660 - June 11, 1727. Your son is quite right he ruled from 1714.

Oh pure wishful thinking on my part! want to narrow my search down.

the precocious tyke is standing by his claim saying George was a German name and used in France, he has stood down a tad saying it might have been used in the UK but not very often. I fear some type of early puberty setting in so i am not going to take him on.

Kids, eh! But we wouldn't be without the little tinkers.

Indeed Almach, what strikes me more, when one starts to delve into ones history, is the miracle that we made it here at all!

looking at the health conditions and constant battles, not to mention periods of much beheadings.
    Coming from Farm labour stock (i am still holding out that we owned the Manor of Bosherston) in the UK on my fathers side meant surviving on very little with constant plagues and feuding royalty, the more i learn the more i count my blessings.

Family Search has this baptism, not sure he's yours unless it was a late baptism. He appears to have been born to a single woman.

James Bosher, 25 December 1808 Wokingham, mother Ann Bosher.

Yes, Luke, times were certainly hard for the majority way back.

Alma

Wow that's a curve ball i never came close to comprehending.

The implications are i need to search for her parents and let go of his lineage, sorry thats so garbled- just a bomb you dropped right there!

The only other baptism I could find in Wokingham 1800 - 1810 searching for Bosher/Boshier/Bosier, was also to a single woman.

Robert Boshier 2 July 1809 Wokingham, mother Sarah.

Perhaps a clue - if Ann and Sarah were sisters.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast