Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default JOSEPH HAMILTON: m1781 d1829 - but when born?

Happy New Year to all the Friends in the forum.

This time I'm looking traces of an ancestor of mine named Joseph Hamilton married to Eleanor Brown.
    Marriage was celebrated in Chatham - St.Marys ???? - (Kent) on the 24th of june 1781. Probably he died in Chatham in 1829.

Could someone help me in finding traces of his birth and about his parents?

Thank you in advance.

Roberto

Wilkes_ml

Have you looked through the Kent parish registers that are online at CityArk? I'm pretty sure Chatham & surrounding parishes are available online to view for free.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Happy New Year Roberto

Marriage Chatham Kent

24 June 1781

Joseph HAMILTON to Elenor BROWN

Death
    Chatham, Kent, England
    Burial Date 08 Apr 1829
    Chatham, Kent, England
    Joseph Hamilton
    Age 1

Familysearch

Jean

It looks like as the Joseph died in 1829 is not the ancestor I'm looking for !!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Come on you know this family search is not easy.....I just couldn't see another death that fitted!

What is your census link to this couple....?

Jx

Joseph and Eleanor had a child named George, born in Leatherhead, Surrey in 1782. I could guess Eleanor came from Leatherhead too, and she returned to her family for the birth of her first child.
    And indeed there is an Eleanor Brown born in Leatherhead in 1757, march. She was the daughter of Robert Brown and Eleanor Rofee.

Now I'll try to focus on Joseph Hamilton and search in 1841 Census to find traces of him/her/both.

Maybe I found something.
    There's a Joseph Hamilton baptised in 1854 in SAINT ANDREW,ENFIELD,LONDON,ENGLAND, son of George Hamilton and Elizabeth. He had a brother, George, born in 1851. And a sister Jane in 1748. They were both baptised in SAINT ANDREW,ENFIELD too.

But I know George and Elizabeth were very common names. Indeed there are some more couples George and Elizabeth in London area.

The family I spotted is the only one were there's a Joseph born in the renge 1740-1770, range fully compliant with the marriage in 1781. And Chatham might be not so "elsewhere" - I don't know if you could understand my poor english - for that time.

Yes I think this Joseph might be the right one.

It's a pity the Medway collection in CityArk reports only transcripts, with no indication for bith place, age, parents names of bride an groom.
    https://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/r...l/00060280.jpg

If Joseph Hamilton is an ancestor of mine, so George and Elizabeth - his parents - they are. George was baptized in 1728, january, in SAINT ANDREW,ENFIELD,LONDON,ENGLAND. He may be the son of John Hamilton and Jane Hamilton (their granddaughter was named Jane, so it is).
    By TheGenealogist, I found in RG7 registers these John and Jane might have married in february 1724 in St.MArgarets, Westminster. He was a Stocking frame knitter (https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/bmdr...hp?id=60564124).

Ok, I'll try to recap.
    Joseph and Eleanor married in Chatham, Kent, in 1781. And they are surely ancestors of mine.
    From this point backward, there's a genealogy which cannot be fully proven, as Joseph's parents are not indicated in the MedWay CitiArk transcripts of his marriage.

In FS website I found Chatham St.Mary registers, but they can be seen only at Family centers. And the one in Palermo is offduty at the moment.
    I hope It will reopen in a few weeks.

In the meantime, any suggestion and crossed check is warmly welcome.

Wilkes_ml

I think you need to check whether the parish registers of towns surrounding Chatham have actually been indexed, because if they haven't, you really need to check the original registers on City Ark (if available) before looking further afield for Joseph HAMILTON's birth (i.e. London) unless you have evidence from census to say he wasn't born in Kent. Indexes such as FamilySearch & FreeReg etc, often have lots of gaps in their coverage so you need to check which parishes/dates are covered and if any parishes nearby are not covered, these need to be checked.

Using Parish Locator, there are a lot of Parishes in a 5 mile radius from Chatham:

Boxley
    Bredhurst
    Burham
    Chatham
    Cuxton
    Detling
    Frindsbury
    Gillingham
    Halling
    Hartlip
    Higham
    Higham,St John
    Higham,St Mary
    Hoo St Werbergh
    Lidsing
    Rainham
    Rochester,Cathedral
    Rochester,St Margaret
    Rochester,St Nicholas
    Snodland
    Strood
    Wouldham

Also the marriages for that time period on city ark are not transcripts, but the actual marriage entries...unfortunately at that time other details such as parents, birth place & age were not required, asked for or recorded. Even with later English marriage certificates (from 1837) the age did not have to be specific (full age meant over 21) birth place was not required, and only the father's name & occupation could be entered (even that could be left blank if the person did not know it or did not want it recorded).

Wilkes_ml

I am also curious as to what leads you to believe this marriage at Chatham is the correct one for your couple? Where were Joseph & Eleanor's children born? I'm assuming with a marriage date of 1781, the children would have been born 1781-1805 ish, so their baptisms would have been unlikey to have listed a mother's maiden name.

If Joseph & Eleanor's children were born in Leatherhead, Surrey then is it possible the Joseph & Emily married near Leatherhead, Surrey (again in a parish which may not have been indexed?). If you are going by family search alone, then you could be missing a marriage which is much close to the place of birth of their children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast