Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loves to help with queries

Charles, my ggfather born in New Shoreham 1833, had a sister, Eleanor Brown Hamilton.

His father, George, was born in Leatherhead (as in Shoreham History Portal with Parish Records). It matches what I found in FS website: there's a baptism of a George Hamilton on the 22nd of May, 1782. He was the son of Joseph Hamilton and Eleanor. It's also found in Ancestry, "Surrey, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812".

Then I found an Eleanor Brown, born in Leatherhead, who marries a Joseph Hamilton in Chatham, Kent, on the 24th of July, 1781.
    I think there are enough evidences to retain this genealogy tree reliable.

But, as I've already told in a previuos post, from Joseph backward it's a guess at the moment.
    I appreciate very much your suggestion to look into parish close to Chatham, anyway closer than London. And

I'll do it, just to avoid missing my true ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    I am also curious as to what leads you to believe this marriage at Chatham is the correct one for your couple? Where were Joseph & Eleanor's children born? I'm assuming with a marriage date of 1781, the children would have been born 1781-1805 ish, so their baptisms would have been unlikey to have listed a mother's maiden name.

If Joseph & Eleanor's children were born in Leatherhead, Surrey then is it possible the Joseph & Emily married near Leatherhead, Surrey (again in a parish which may not have been indexed?). If you are going by family search alone, then you could be missing a marriage which is much close to the place of birth of their children.
    I'm reconsidering the situation: not so sure by now that Joseph Hamilton and Eleanor Brown married in Chatham are my ancestors, as there were both Brown and Hamilton families in Kent and Chatham particularly.

More researches have taken me to focus on Leatherhead.
    Eleanor Brown witnessed her brother Robert's marriage in 1776; in 1784 Eleanor Hamilton witnessed another brother's (john) marriage, right 2 years after George Hamilton was born (and baptized).
    I found also a Joseph Hamilton who witnessed a marriage in 1783 in Stoke d'Abernon (Cobham), a few 5 miles away from Leatherhead: is he that Joseph Hamilton, my ancestor, husband to Eleanor Brown and father of Geaorge Hamilton bapt.1782?

The search goes on, never give up, if something does not look so reliable and sure, wait and go over it again!!!

Default Signatue comparison - opinions requested

I collected some signatures just to make comparisons to reject or to accept the main assumption (Joseph Hamilton and Eleanor Brown married in CHatham, 24 june 1781).

I have collected signatures from Chatham marriage, and signatures from some other marriages where Eleanor or Joseph have witnessed (in this case I suppose they are really my ancestors, from Leatherhead)

Can I ask Forum members for signature comparison and to express their opinion, if the ones in Chatham marriage are the same signature in the other marriages where Eleanor or Jospeh witnessed?

Here the link to the file:
    https://i.postimg.cc/KYRgDyCf/Firme-Eleanor.png

Hope to get some opinion; at the moment I will not share mine, so not to influence anyone's opninion.

But anyway, let me thank all of you in advance for you attention

Hi bobangel
    You have also started a separate thread about the signatures of Elenor and Joseph. I have closed that thread so any replies will be on this thread only. This saves confusion and frustration for those trying to help.
    This is the link to the other closed thread for anyone wanting to read it for info.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ure-comparison
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

The two Eleanor Browns look very similar to me, and I think the Eleanor Hamilton is probably by the same person, as it seems to have the same kind of feel and shape to it. Note how she lifts the pen after 'n' in Eleanor; also the shape of the 'le', though the Hamilton one is more squashed up so you can't really see the lift immediately after it.

It might also be worth comparing the two Robt Browns. One of them is partly hidden under the red line, but what I can make out of it looks fairly similar to the other one.

Taking that one into account too, then, on balance of probabilities I think these all belong together as part of the family you describe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12