Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bettyanne

Default Missing Relative Trawlerman

William Thomas Jones born 1866 Wolverhampton a trawlerman married my Great Aunt Olive Hunter Hockney in 1892. They lived in Grimsby and had some family. he was based in 1901 on s/s Lincoln, possibly at sea, after that I can find no trace of him,Olive appears on the 1911 census as being married but living with her sister and family still in Grimsby. But where did W T go could he have been lost at sea or did he go off?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Olive Hunter Hockney in 1892
    The 1901 census has
    114, Hainton Street, Clee, Grimsby
    JONES Olive 1869 All born Grimsby
    JONES Albert 1897
    JONES Doris 2 b 1899

1911 census as being married but living with her sister and family still in Grimsby
    I find Olive Hunter JONES and children / Albert Edward 14 / Doris Ellen 12 / Leonard 7/ her sister ?

at

74 Sidney St New Cleethorpes Grimsby

pippycat

Where did you find William in 1901?

The 1901 census (3088 f218 p0 Grimsby) for the SS Lincoln doesn't list William Thomas Jones among the crew.

The boat was 250 miles out at sea on census night 31 March 1901 - the census return was filled out by the Master Charles Hills on 2 April 1901 at the Fish Dock, Grimsby.

Rebecca

Reputation beyond repute

The 1901 census (3088 f218 p0 Grimsby) for the SS Lincoln doesn't list William Thomas Jones among the crew.
    There are two vessels named Lincoln under Lincolnshire. One is a trawler but William Jones is listed on the other vessel which is described as a Steamer in the Home Trade

It seems that the Lincoln was sold to a Greek company in 1914 and was sunk in 1917.

Have you checked the deaths at sea?

pippycat

Thanks Peter

- explains why William isn't listed among that particular crew then!

Reputation beyond repute

I notice that there is a crew list for ship number 87762 for 1907 at the National Archives BT 99/2524.

As BettyAnne is only in Egham, she might feel it's worthwhile popping into The National Archives to look at it. Not that it's really going to get matters very much further forward but it might be interesting.

Deaths at Sea can be searched on FMP but you'll probably need to order a certificate.

pippycat

I did actually come across a death: Jones, WT June 1901
    source: BT 334 Register of BMD's of passengers and Seamen died at Sea.

I braved the TNA and decided BT334/28 Deceased Seamen 1901 would be correct for the above Jones.
    TNA refer you to FMPast for viewing the record - but that tells you nothing!

Its just a list of names, or initials and the month they died...no ship or even an area, so you couldn't begin to tell who anyone was.

Peter, the TNA is your forte (its definitely not mine) so do you think there would be more info somewhere else, or is that it?

Rebecca

Bettyanne

Thanks Peter Goodey Yes I could go to the Archives at Kew, when the flooding has gone down I will try to,

Bettyanne

Thanks Pippycat, I checked the same on Find my past but as the information is so abbreviated I could not go anywhere with it.

Reputation beyond repute

do you think there would be more info somewhere else
    Not that I can think of. BMDRegisters have got some stuff, Findmypast have other (different) stuff.

I only mentioned TNA because it was reasonably handy for her and she might find a visit interesting. I hadn't got any great confidence that it was going to answer the question. There might be other unrelated things to be searched for on the same visit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast