Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Joseph Towers from Bisbrooke, Rutland

Hi Everyone...does anyone have access to Parish records for Bisbrooke. I am looking for info on Joseph Towers
    born there < 1790-1800> Can't find anything online for this parish. Thankyou

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Hugh Wallis batches here
    https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....htm#PageTitle
    and here
    https://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/fs-rut.htm
    I see a marriage to Leanora Dodson 20 Apr 1800,your man?He may have been born nearby.Free parish locator here.
    https://www.parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

janbooth

Presumably he is the one living at 16 Brook Street Manchester in the 1851 census with wife Sarah & daughter Sarah Jane and in the 1841 census of Chorlton with children Joseph, James, Elizabeth and Sarah?

If so, I'm afraid there does not seem to be anything on the net that I can find re his birth/baptism nor his marriage so far. Unfortunately, Rutland is not particularly well served with either parish register transcripts available to purchase or records online.

All the children's baptisms are online via Ancestry but of course that does not help finding either Sarah's or Joseph's parents. Sorry not to be of more help

Janet

Thanks warncoort & Janet. Still no luck unfortunately. I have the baptisms & census from M/cr but no marriage for them there.

Loves to help with queries

Hello Pat,
    Herewith all TOWERS [and variants but there were none] for Bisbrooke CMB earliest to 1840.
    Baptisms
    1806 Jun 19 TOWERS Mary d John & Mary
    1815 -- -- John s John & Mary lab.
    1833 Dec -- Joseph Holman s Sarah singlewoman

also relevant at next door Seaton
    1808 Oct 9 TOWERS Sarah d John & Mary
    1811 Mar 10 Hannah d John & Mary
    1812 Dec 20 Elizabeth d John & Mary

Marriages
    1800 Feb 5 Joseph TOWERS otp & Leonora DODSON otp banns
    1804 Apr 23 William TOWERS otp & Ann BURNHAM otp banns
    1835 Feb 18 Edward HOLMAN otp & Sarah TOWERS banns

Burials
    1798 Jul -- TOWERS Anna d William & Katherine
    1798 Feb 7 Frances d William & Katherine [BT says Hannah]
    1801 Apr 1 Valentine s William & Katherine
    1815 Jul 16 John infant
    1834 Oct 22 Mary 49

There is no baptism of a Joseph TOWERS in any of the 50 parishes in Rutland and no
    marriages that help for your Joseph or any of the above.

Your answer lies at Branston, Leicestershire. Put in TOWERS and Branston on Family search
    and much will be revealed.

Hi Burt..Thanks, but not convinced about Branston. Census info def says Bisbrooke, Rutlandshire and Branston is about 30 miles from there.

janbooth

Hi Pat,

I think Burt may have solved the puzzle for you. There is definitely interaction between Bisbrooke & Branston. Joseph TOWERS marries Leonora DODSON on 20 April 1800 at Bisbrooke. There is a subsequent baptism at Branston on 25 December 1800 of a Leonora TOWERS daughter of Joseph & Leonora. I think this Joseph is the one baptised at Branston on 22 October 1780 son of John & Elizabeth. There is a subsequent baptism at Branston on 11 March 1787 of a Joseph TOWERS son of William & Catherine and their last child (of 9) baptised at Branston is an Ann in 1797. There is then a baptism at Bisbrooke on 17 December 1799 of a Hannah TOWERS daughter of William & Catherine - could this be the same couple as this is the only baptism to this William & Catherine at Bisbrooke. Joseph may well have considered Bisbrooke as his home parish. The Valentine TOWERS buried at Bisbrooke son of William & Katherine was baptised at Branston on 24 February 1785 as Valentine William TOWERS son of William & Catherine - I think the unusual combination of forenames makes it almost certain that this is the same family. Also the Anna buried at Bisbrooke could be the Ann baptised at Branston in 1797. See what you think, anyway.

Janet

pippycat

Pat

A few thoughts for you.

I'm sure you already know that just because something is written on a census doesn't make it the correct information.
    Sometimes one person's details can chop and change throughout all the different census!

Bear in mind, not many people knew, or probably even cared, where they were born way back then. Possibly it only became important to them if they had a need to rely on Parish or Poor Law relief at some later stage in life.

Joseph could well have been born in Bisbrooke, but that doesn't mean he was actually baptised there.
    The family may have moved on and had Joseph baptised elsewhere (if at all!)

The other option to consider is that Joseph may have been illegitimate and could be registered under his mother's maiden name.
    IF he was illegit. I don't suppose anyone was going to mention that to the census emunerator! so Joseph becomes a Towers from 1841 - regardless of his surname at birth.

There are many possibilities, but it might be very wise to consider casting your net wider if you want to find Joseph - especially in light of Burt not finding any mention of Joseph in Rutland Parish records.

Rebecca

Now I've just seen Janet's post, I believe she has come up with the solution for you.

Hi All & Thankyou. It seems possible that my Joseph is the one born in Branston in 1787. His age on census and death record has him born anywhere between 1790 & 1796. He married Sarah ? from Little Houghton, Northamptonshre but no idea where. Children baptised in Manchester from 1821 onwards.

Loves to help with queries

Thankyou Janet in particular and Rebecca for stating so succinctly what I should have listed in the first place.
    At least it saves me posting it.
    The Phillimores' Marriages for Branston are on the net. There is no William & Catherine among them. Family
    Search list a likely candidate in 1788 in Nottinghamshire, I will check my CD when I have time.
    It seems to me this family may be just a little up from the bottom so to speak, in view of two Christian names
    for Valentine in 1785 and the occupation of Sawyer later [particularly when the usual reason to travel all those
    miles to Manchester was to work in the mills], therefore Wills are worth checking and voting lists on Anc***.
    Will post when I have more info.
    Gerald

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast