Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

David, You have the transcription of the marriage entry in the GRO ( General Register Office ) for birth / marriage / death together with the area the event occured Volume number & page.

This will give you access to a copy of the actual marriage certificate. and confirmation of the details declared by the parties together with witnesses ( who hopefully will be family members)

See this link as to what you can find on our formal certificates

https://www.
    gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#CertificateInforma tion

Certificates cost £9.25 sterling and are ordered from www.gro.gov.uk same site

Whilst I think we have the correct SMITH family I am not sure about the original request and what I have seen on the US records John H and the marriage in the UK stating John LINFORD!!!

Sometimes we all have to make a reluctant purchase to ensure we are following the correct family......

Jx

Starting to feel at home

Many thanks for your help. Following your suggestion, I requested a copy of the actual marriage certificate from the GRO. Received it yesterday. It shows John Linford Smith and Harriet Emma Chidgey married on 1 Feb 1904 in The Register Office District of St Pancras County of London. John age 22 bachelor milkman 39 Drummond Crescent father John Linford Smith tyre smith. Harriet age 23 spinster [no profession] 10 Colosseum Terrace father Frank Chidgey tailor. Witnesses are Bessie Hayes and George Lyons.

I cannot find this family on the 1891 census

SMITH John Linford 1849 tyresmith St Pancras
    SMITH Emma 1848 St Pancras
    SMITH Henry John 1873/4 St Pancras
    SMITH Francis William aka Frank 1846 St Pancras
    SMITH John Linford 1883 St Pancras
    SMITH Edith Mary 1885 St Pancras

Have all census . marriage / birth for the family(s) except this
    none were married pre 1900

Addresses Drummond Crec / Drummond St / Barnsbury St Isl/ Aldenham/ Sidings St

Starting to feel at home

dave91011ATyahooDOTcom is my email address. I also cannot find on 1891 England census.

1901 England census John L Smith tyresmith wheelwright age 52 birth about 1849 St Pancras London England spouse Emma Smith age 53 civil parish St Pancras 185 Euston Road other household member Edith W Smith age 16.

Birth 7 Jan 1849 St Pancras London Middlesex England per Free BMD Birth Index 1837-1915.

Baptism 19 Jun 1853 St Pancras Old Church London England per London, England, Births and Baptisms 1813-1906.

8 Oct 1872 marriage John Lingford (sic) Smith and Emma Reed in St Pancras Parish Church register per FreeBMD Marriage Index 1837-1915. Husband profession tyre smith 4 Christopher Place his deceased father same name and profession. Wife no profession 117 Chalton St father Henry William Reed.
    Last edited by christanel; 09-02-2014 at 9:28 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Starting to feel at home

Default John Linford Smith / John Henry Smith

Additional information:

Apparently, he was born John Linford Smith and was still using that name after he emigrated from England to the USA in 1905. Subsequently, on the 1910 US Federal Census and thereafter he was consistantly known as John Henry Smith.

John Lingford (sic) Smith birth 14 Aug 1883 St Pancras London Middlesex England per FreeBMD augmented by census and death records information in USA.

John Lindford (sic) Smith baptism 21 Oct 1883 St Pancras Parish London Middlesex England per London Metropolitan Archives St Pancras Parish Register. Parents Emma and John Lindford (sic) Smith abode 106 Drummond Street trade smith.

John Linford Smith and Harriet Emma Chidgey marriage 1 Feb 1904 in Register Office St Pancras London Co England per GRO certified copy of an entry of marriage. Husband age 22 milkman 39 Drummond Crescent father John Linford Smith tyre smith. Wife age 23 spinster [no occupation] 10 Colosseum Terrace father Frank Chidgey tailor.

Emigrated from England [to New York NY USA not verified] in 1905 per 1930 US Federal Census. 1910 and 1920 US census show 1904. Probably not more than nine months before son Frank born Dec 1905 in USA and not after wife and son George arrived in USA from England Sep 1905.

Residence 571 2nd Pitcairn Allegany Co PA USA listed as address of John Linford Smith husband on 16 Sep 1905 list of SS Campania detained passengers in New York re Smith, Harriet E and ch.

Residence 1910 and 1920 on census was Bakersfield Kern Co CA USA.

Residence 1930, 1935 and 1940 on census and on 1950 CA death record was Los Angeles Los Angeles Co CA USA.

Death 14 Mar 1950 Los Angeles Los Angeles Co CA USA. John H Smith age 65 born 14 Aug 1884 (sic) England father John Smith mother Emma Linford (sic) per CA Certificate of Death informant Harriet Smith spouse. Retired switchman Southern Pacific Railroad. Cause of death left bundle branch block. Burial in Grand View Memorial Park Glendale Los Angeles Co USA plot section M tier 23 grave 5 John Henry Smith b 14 Aug 1884 (sic) d 14 Mar 1950 per Find A Grave.

David

Name: Harriet E Smith
    Arrival Date: 16 Sep 1905
    Birth Date: abt 1881
    Ethnicity/ Nationality:English
    Port of Departure:Liverpool, England
    Port of Arrival: New York, New York
    Ship Name: Campania

Entry has Baby George 11/12 with her

Final destination Pitcairn
    Husband paid the passage
    Husband John 174 2nd Street Pitcairn against the entry is written
    Mat number Pgt HAJ

bexx

Hi all,

I have a lot of Chidgeys in my family and I dont know how or even if Harriet E Chidgey is a distant relatation of mine as I dont know if Ive missed a connecting person out of my tree as I have a lot of people in it (which seems to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack mission).

Bexx

Name: John londford Smith
    Arrival Date: 28 May 1905
    Estimated birth year: abt 1884
    Ethnic Background: English
    Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
    Ship Name: Merion
    Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Friend's Name: A H Hope
    Last Residence: London

Friend is desc as Brother in Law 106 Ashland Avenue Mohonangton

Starting to feel at home

I think A.H. Hope (sic) is Alfred Henry Hughes, the husband of Laura Valentine Chidgey. Laura was one of John Linford Smith's wife's two sisters. Alfred and Laura married in Bristol in 1903 and immigrated to America. I have not yet found information about their crossing from England to America. There is a 106 S Ashland Ave in New Castle PA USA; near Pittsburg Pennsylvania. Still trying to determine what or where Mohonangton is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast