Johnniebosh

Default Ubuntu and Family Historian

Hi - and seasonal greetings

I use Ubuntu as opposed to any of the Windows series of virus catching operating systems. I have tried to install Family Historian to run under Wine and get the following curt computer response:

Archive: /tmp/install_fh5.0.7_dl-1.exe
    [/tmp/install_fh5.0.7_dl-1.exe]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /tmp/install_fh5.0.7_dl-1.exe or
    /tmp/install_fh5.0.7_dl-1.exe.zip, and cannot find /tmp/install_fh5.0.7_dl-1.exe.ZIP, period.

Any-one succesfully installed FH5 using Wine within Ubuntu ... and, if so - what do I have to do ... or ... what am I doing wrong?

Any/all help will be much appreciated

John

Very quick off the mark.

John,

I use Family Historian but confess to not understanding most of your post (my lack of computer knowledge - not a problem with your post!)

Have you tried posting your query on the Family Historian User Group Forum? There are many very knowledgeable and computer-savvy members who, I am sure, could help you.

www.
    fhug.org.uk/forum/index.php

Maggie

Knowledgeable and helpful

First it should be pointed out that running wine on a Ubuntu system could make it vunerable to virsus and malware including keylogging scripts, please do not think your computer is safe from such threats.

The error message you are getting signifies your install procedure is trying to install a compressed file and is not finding the end of directory coding.

Is your version or is it a downloaded version?
    If downloaded I would suggest downloading again in case the download failed to complete.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

CanCan

This may help you .............

https://fhug.rjt.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9265