Aussie Marzy

Default Almshouses, Kington St Michael

I have found an old postcard of The Almshouses, Kington St Michael, amongst my Grandmothers photo albums.
    It has obviously been sent out here to Australia inside an envelope as not postage marks on it and the writing takes up the back.. I have viewed a very similar postcard on the Kington St Michael web page saying Circa 1920's.... I am going to write what is written on the back of the card in the hope someone can shed some light on WHICH BUCKLAND RELATIVE of that era has written it.... I know there were still various Bucklands living there at that time.My ancestor was James Smith Buckland, born 1835 (John & Frances Buckland parents) who emigrated to Australia with 3 of his brothers but as there were 11 children many remained..
    The note on the back of the postcard reads: "The Little side window you see in the distance is my married home & the room looking down the street is the room where my Husband died as that was our Bedroom. (Mr Brewers old home) The little boys are the vicars 2 sons (twins I believe) Its very good of the Alms Houses & the Tree stands in ....... was Bonds yard corner of the Folly now"
    On the front there is writing but hard to decipher but it looks like it reads "kind regards Marce (definately Mar..) There is a cross placed over a window and marked "Where Father died"
    If anyone can help me work out which Buckland relative was living in the house that used to be owned by Mr Brewer, I would much appreciate any information.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I don't know if this will help much. I have looked at the censuses for 1911 back to 1881 for Bucklands in Kington St Michael, but there aren't very many, and at least one of the families were farmers, so unlikely to need an almshouse. In 1881 Edward aged 44 was a farmer at Priory Farm ( or similar) with his wife Emma, son Ernest 7 and daughter Alice 14. Elsewhere there is Henry aged 79 and his wife Sophia aged 85. He is blind, but a retired farmer. They lived in the High Street, which could be the Almshouse. (I don't know this parish.) All except the wives were born in Kington St Michael. No Bucklands came up in 1891 but in 1901, Edward was at Priory Farm with Emma and Ernest and two nieces. By 1911, Ernest was the farmer with his mother living with him. It says he had been married 7 years but that is crossed out ( it should be with the wife's entry). No wife appears, and no children. If you like, I can look at earlier censuses, to see if anything is obvious about which Bucklands were living in the parish. pwholt

Old Maps https://old-maps.co.uk/index.html

click on link and enter coordinates 390340 177356
    when all maps loaded click on "1900 old map" map
    when loaded in main window click on main window to zoom (anywhere except red box marked "Enhanced zoom"!!)

Kelly's Directory of Wiltshire 1915 in describing Kington St Michael states "..... 6 almshouses of two rooms each were built and endowed in 1675" - which fits the 1900 map.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is a village website (kingtonstmichael.com) which, in its history section, has a postcard which looks like the one you describe. There is a link to the village opc and lots of other interesting information, perhaps someone there will be able to help.

Yes,
    There are some great pics out there of the 6 almshouses.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the management of the almshouses would be prepared to look through their old records to answer your question.