Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rodrocket_875

Question Mystery lady Marries Thomas Woolcock

Can anyone help me get past my roadblock?
    In my family tree, I have a Thomas Woolcock, b1660 Gulval, Cornwall. d 1696 Gulval, Cornwall.
    Married Ann Noy, 1683, in St Just Penwith, then married Margaret Ustick, widow in 1689. also at St Just.
    How can I find out Margaret's maiden name. I have spent an enormous amount of time searching though Cornwall marriages looking for a ? Ustick (Groom) and a Margaret ? (Bride). Many other people on line, especially on Ancestry, have Thomas married to Margaret Ustick d of John Usticke of Botallacke and Margaret Shearme, But on-line Cornish records show that Margaret married Mark Sampson.
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Regards Rod Crocker

P S I'm a new poster, Just like to say hi to all, and a big thankyou for any help given.
    Last edited by rodrocket_875; 13-12-2013 at 7:06 AM. Reason: clarification

Welcome to Brit Gen.
    I assume that you've been checking spelling variations? That far back, I usually adopt a policy that if you can read it aloud and it sounds similar, some parish clerk probably used that spelling. Also, Margrat, Margery, etc. What about looking for deaths of a Mr Ustick between the time Margaret might have married, and when you know she was a widow?

rodrocket_875

Thanks Lesley,
    Yes I have tried looking for a Marriage with a groom Ustick and a Bride Margaret, I tried Ustick male deaths 10 years previous to her marriage to Thomas in St Just and surrounding parishes. The other problem is that the parish registers have a lot of missing information which doesn't help. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Merry Christmas

When I want ideas for spelling variations, I amuse myself with a search on the Familysearch website. Among the wilder ideas (eg Ostiguy), there's Ustik, Ostick, Eustick and Austick, all in England.
    However, as you say, information has been lost....

Were you trying dates in Parish registers, or on gravestones?

rodrocket_875

Default Mystery lady Marries Thomas Woolcock

Hi Lesley,
    I have concentrated on Parish registers
    Regards Rod

Hugh Thompson

Hi Rodrocket there is this one to ponder over, among others, if it were me I'd look for the burial of this John Usticke to see if he is the one.
    Hugh.

From the register of St Just in Penwith (Phillimores)

John, S. of John Usticke, of Botallacke, & Margaret, d. of Robert Shearme [m. at Madron] 26th Sept 1653.

And this one you have of course.
    Thomas Woolcock & Margaret Ustick. W.
    5 Nov. 1689.

Hugh Thompson

On second thoughts, this Margaret would be too old for Thomas, going by when she was married (1653) will keep looking.
    Hugh.

rodrocket_875

Hi Hugh,
    Thanks for your suggestions, Yes the Margaret (Shearme) that you mentioned is in fact the mother of the Margaret Ustick that married Mark Sampson. She fits the requirements but your right she is to old. I need a younger Margaret that is not a Ustick by birth but rather by marriage and lost her Ustick husband within a few years of her marriage to Thomas Woolcock in 1689.
    Thanks for your help.
    Regards Rod
    Last edited by rodrocket_875; 16-12-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: clarification

Hugh Thompson

Hi Rod, I had a look at the marriage for Mark Samson just to see what it actually said in case you haven't seen it, (see below)

Marke Samson, gent., & Margaret the daughter of (- - - -) Ustick, gent. 25 Oct. 1692.

Hugh.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11624-93675-86?cc=1769414&wc=MMVH-VP2:n2108109882

rodrocket_875

Hi Hugh,
    I have seen it, I have a copy of the transcribed version from Cornwall OPC's
    I will just have to keep looking.
    Thanks mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast