Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loves to help with queries

Hi Phillip not sure if right or wrong but here is a tree from Jewishgen for Fannys father David Davis though the birth dates for David and his wife seem surreal. As to Frances, there was a Francis born in 1814 but it was not her.
    https://www.jewishgen.org/webtrees/in...=1_17130_u.ged

sorry that was a muddle I could only find one Frances (fanny) born in 1814 in England and it does not seem to be ours, so all very curious

Hi Ken
    Here are 2 US Federal Census for Michael and Frances Hart- they both indicate a dob for Frances of 1814 England. Can't locate her in 1870 census as yet:
    1850 US Federal Census (Copyright US Archives)
    Lynchburg Campbell Virginia M432 100B 204
    Michael Hart 48 Merchant $8000 b England
    Francis 36 b England
    Henry 18 salesman b Virginia
    George 16 Salesman b Virginia
    David 14 b Virginia
    Benjamin 12 b Virginia
    Lewis 8 b Virginia
    Sarah 5 b Virginia
    Alfred 2 b Virginia
    Alfred MOSES 30 Merchant b England

( See my earlier thread on Alfred Moses son of Rosa Hart/Henry Moses)

1860 US Federal Census ( Copyright US National Archives)
    New York Ward 18 District 2 Roll M653 814 265 266
    Michael Hart 58 Gentleman value of real estate $60000 Personal Estate $150000 b England
    Frances wife 45 b England
    Henry 28 merchant $15000 b Virginia
    George 26 merchant $10000 b Virginia
    Sarah 15 b Virginia
    Alfred 12 b Virginia

Nb See also American Jewish First Families -Stern Collection for David Davis and Michael Hart- the David Davis genealogy is comparable to the one on JewishGen

Phillip

All very strange Fannys parents according to Jewishgen were middle aged before they had a lot of kids, so thinking either their dates of birth are way out or there is a generation missing. I am not doubting the American records I am wondering why we can find nothing here in England, but then again on another of your posts Phillip it does make one realise that the early records are far from perfect. I am thinking that Michaels (Meijer) Hart father was born in Holland

Hi Ken
    As you can see from the data I posted on each of the Michael Hart/Frances Davis the dob of the individuals tends to be consistent. You will note an approximate age difference of 10 years between Frances and Michael. I have speculated that my 2 Hart lines were Dutch Jews but have no proof. My research into my 4x great grandfather Benjamin Hart father of Michael has proved difficult in terms of any early records. I have posted on Benjamin but do not know his dob or the name of his wife or if he had siblings.He appears to have died circa 1836 in London but so far I can't locate any probate or where he is buried.
    Just remind me again of your direct link top my Hart lines. Is Benjamin also your x great grandfather?
    Phillip

Hi Philip
    No direct connection as yet, my top Hart is Isaac Hart who married Rachel Daniels 19th September 1810 at the Gt Synagogue Rachel was born in 1782 (we are still having problems finding out who exactly Rachel is, as on her wedding her father is given as Martin the Sephardi yet the name Daniels is interchangeable with Toledano, as to the mysterious Isaac! Also a couple of years ago you very kindly helped out with information on their daughters who went to Australia.

Just like to post about the difficulty of identifying Dutch Ashkenazi who came to London in the 18th and early 19th centurys. Firstly there were no family names in Holland which means son of was the norm unlike England so the Dutch Ashkenaz would literally adopt a name on arriving into England. An example I have one line 'Asher' my family all thought it originated in Portugal as our Gd Mother told us. The truth was a Meyer Asher was brought over from Amsterdam to marry a girl in London but his name was actually Meijer Asser Schneider but on moving here he changed it. It was only by chance we worked out who he really was, When the rest of the family who stayed in Holland were forced to take a surname most chose Asser

Default ROSALIE SOHER nee HART DEATH 1890

The following data is part of ongoing updates on my Hart paternal lines who settled in America.
    Death February 18 1890 - ROSALIE HART widow of David Hart funeral from the residence of her brother in law EDWARD MORRISON 13 West 39th st at 10 o'clock this morning. The Sun (New York 20 February 20,1890)

The SOHER,MORRISON,HART lines appear in the American Jewish Archive ( Stern Collection). Edward Morrison 1821 born London died 21 June 1897 New York. He married Zipporah Soher 1831-1898 in New York 27 August 1856. The Morrison line descends from Moses Morrison and Sarah (last name not recorded on the Stern collection). Edward Morrison is buried Salem Fields Cemetery New York.

Researchers looking up US family history are advised to consult Chronicling America Newspaper collections.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

My apologies- I should have recorded Rosalie Hart nee Soher in the newspaper burial record
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12