Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    janbooth

Oh well spotted Andy!! I can confirm that the marriage of Francis BORE & Hannah HOWARD took place on 13 August 1823 at Clifford from the Herefordshire FHS Marriage Index.

Also George HOWARD's marriage on 22 September 1849 in Monmouthshire is on Findmypast which will give you his father's name.

Herefordshire FHS Burial Index has the burial of a Francis BOARE at Clifford, Herefordshire on 27 February 1827, aged 87. Surely he must be connected in some way.

Janet

spison

Terrific hunting! Looking good!

Jane

pippycat

Marriage:

George Howard, full age, Bach. a Moulder, Blaenafon. Father: John Howard. Labourer.
    Margaret Williams, full age, Sp. Blaenafon. Father: Thos Williams. Miner.
    22 Sept 1849 Parish Church of Llanfoist, Monmouth

Witness names maybe irrelevant as they have witnessed many marriages.
    Looks something like Philip/Philys? Powell Clark and Elizabeth Powell.
    Janet might read that name better than I can

Llanfoist roughly 6 miles to Blaenafon/Blaenavon.

Rebecca

Hatshepsut

I am so thankful to all of you for your great help in demolishing this Boar/Bore/Boor/Bourne wall. It explains the different spellings of Hannah's surname and why the name 'Hand' pops up on Joseph's death cert. I am a very happy little genea at the moment

Also explains the 'Francis' running through my family!

janbooth

I think the witnesses are Philip POWELL & Elizabeth POWELL his wife. They are living in the 1851 census of Llanfoist - no Philip Powell CLARK that I can find, so I wonder if it should read Philip POWELL, Clerk??

Janet

Hatshepsut

Thanks Janet....the handwriting does make it difficult to work out names I suppose I shouldn't complain....it does make climbing the family tree very interesting

janbooth

And how! Have a lovely Christmas and a wonderful New Year researching all your new information.

Janet

Hatshepsut

And a very Merry Christmas to you too, Janet. I hope your day is full of peace, love and happiness.

Hatshepsut

I have just received, from GRO, the copy of the marriage cert for Joseph and Hannah...the hand writing is clear and legible so I can confirm that Hannah's father's name IS Francis and their surname is written as BOURNE.
    A question...why is the hand writing on the church record (I have a photo-copy) different to that on the GRO marriage cert? Obviously written by two people as letter formation is completely different.

jac65

Hi

As far as I'm aware the GRO does not have an original marriage register, that is certainly the case with births and deaths. My understanding is that there are 2 Marriage Registers, the Parish Register which the Church keeps, and the Local Register Office Register which is at the relevent Local Register Office. Both are filled in at the time of the marriage and would normally have the signitures of the Bride, Groom and witnesses. Each quarter the Local Register Office sends a copy of each registration to the GRO.

If you get a certificate from the Local Register Office, and they scan the Register (some offices just type or write a copy) then the certificate would have the original signitures, if it comes from the GRO then there are no original signitures.

I have seen some suggestions that 3 Registers are completed at the time of the marriage, the Parish Register, the Local Register Office register and the GRO register but all marriage certificates I have from the GRO do not have original signitures.

Andy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast