Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    pippycat

Joseph Garrett + Hannah Bourne married 16 Oct 1852
    St George, Tredegar, parish of Bedwelty, Mon.

Joseph: full age, bach. of Beaufort parish. Lab. Father: William Garrett, Lab.
    Hannah: full age, sp. of Beaufort parish. Father: James Borne, Lab.
    Witness: Thomas Shephard and Mary Lewis.
    Everyone signed by X

Hannah's father surname does resemble Borne on the image, whereas Hannah's looks more like Bourne - either way both ending with an e and badly written by the same hand!

Rebecca

spison

Hannah is on MY tree! She isn't connected directly but by marriage so I haven't researched her but her eldest daughter Mary Anna GARRETT (b. WALES c. 1854 - that's all I have) became the second wife of my g-g-or something-grandfather. The family were in Newcastle at this stage and Mary Anna died as Mary Anna ABELL in Newcastle in 1904. I've got to go - late already - but I will contact you by PM today or tomorrow.

Jane

Hatshepsut

Jane!!!!! Mary Anna GARRATT married William RALPH in Newcastle on 4th July 1868.
    William died of a stroke in 1890. Mary Anna then went on to marry Elijah ABELL in 1893.
    She needed someone to help her with the pub. Mary died in 1904.

you and I have intertwined branches on our trees

Hatshepsut

Pippycat....thanks for this info and your help. Even tho' the names aren't clear it still confirms that I'm on the right trail.

janbooth

I had read Hannah's father as Francis on her marriage record, so it might be as well to obtain the marriage certificate just to avoid wrong paths.

Janet

pippycat

Its just as well Janet is watching over me - she is spot on, Hannah's father is FRANCIS Borne.

- I've just had another look and the image doesn't even resemble the word James, so I've no idea what made me put that.

I'm so sorry Hatshepsut, that could have caused major problems for you......
    a big Thank You to Janet for saving me.

Rebecca

spison

Hmm! Interesting. Surnames are such fun! And while my connection is only through marriage (of the nephew of my g-g-or something-grandfather who shared the same name. What was I thinking!) this is interesting none the less.

Jane

Hatshepsut

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Its just as well Janet is watching over me - she is spot on, Hannah's father is FRANCIS Borne.

- I've just had another look and the image doesn't even resemble the word James, so I've no idea what made me put that.

I'm so sorry Hatshepsut, that could have caused major problems for you......
    a big Thank You to Janet for saving me.

Rebecca
    Francis that isn't even close to the 'Joseph' stated by the informant on her death cert I bet he was asked "....father's name?" and he said "...Joseph" thinking the person meant HIS father's name! Good grief....doncha just love genealogy? Probably explains why I haven't been able to find her dad.
    Thanks Janet and Rebecca for your keen eyes and help.

janbooth

No problem. My fingers often type something different to what my brain should be telling them - it is probably the curse of multi-tasking as I am often thinking of many different names at one time! I did have a look on the census records for a Hannah with a father Francis but nothing really struck a light - will keep looking though.

Janet

Hatshepsut

Just to muddy the waters....I received Hannah's death cert and I am more confused than ever.
    Under the heading 'Children of Marriage' the are 9 names & ages listed as living (5 females and 4 males) and 2 females deceased. Yippee! I thought! Now I can verify the kids names & ages! NOT so easy.

I compared the two death certs (Hannah's & her husband's, Joseph)....his shows 4 females & 4 males living and 2 females deceased!! Somewhere between his death in 1885 and hers in 1897 we seem to have collected an extra female....and I have no idea which one!!

edit - on Hannah's death cert the youngest child (a female) is stated as being 23yrs old so she was definitely around when Joseph died 12 years previously.

Also, to make matters confusing, Hannah's father is again stated as Joseph BORE. The place of marriage is stated as Pontyprydd, Wales...anyone know if Pontyprydd is near the parish of Bedwelly or the town of Blanforth as indicated by the info Rebbecca found on the 1862 marriage record?
    Last edited by Hatshepsut; 19-12-2013 at 1:28 AM. Reason: add info

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast