chilterns

Default 1821 Wellington Census

During my visit to the Shropshire Record Office last week I was made aware of the 1821 Wellington Census by a member of the Shropshire FHS.

I was there looking for the birth /baptism of Enoch Davies, my g.g. grandfather.

The 1861 Census records him as 46, a Charter Master in Stone, born in Wrockwardine Wood.
    He appears in the 1841, but not the 1851 Census and died in 1864, age 49.

As he would be born in 1815-16 I obviously need to consult the Parish registers.
    As there was no Church and consequently no Parish registers for Wrockwardine Wood, I was informed by the FHS member that baptisms for Wrockwardine Wood would have taken place in Wellington but first I looked in the 1821 Wellington Census.

The only Enoch Davies I can find here although he does not appear to be the right age was as shown below with the IGI Parish records alonside

William Davies age 40 born 1781
    Rebecca Davies age 34 born 1787
    Isaac Davies age12 born 1809 Christened 23rd. Nov. 1806 ?
    Rebecca Davies age 11 born 1810 Christened 21st. May 1809 ?​
    George Davies age 9 born 1812 Christened 17th. Nov. 1811 ?
    Enoch Davies age 7 born 1814 Christened 9th. Jan. 1814 ?
    William Davies age 5 born 1816 (no Christening record found)
    Ruth Davies age 3 born 1818 (no Christening record found)
    John Davies age 1 born 1820 Christened 18th. Feb. 1821

As you can see there is an anomaly in the dates between the Census and Parish records and Enoch was born 1-2 years earlier than the 1841-61 records.

If anyone can explain this I would be grateful.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Ages in the various Census entries are usually rounded up/down, and can be up to 5 years out. Also, it depends who gives the information.

Death at the age of 49 in 1864. gives a birth year of about 1815. I think that is right. Age at death is not given in days, weeks, months and years. Again, the age would rounded up to the nearest year at time of death.

Was Enoch Davies married to an Emma ??? c.1816. Shropshire. And was Enoch's occupation a labourer in the Ironworks.
    If so, he is transcribed in Ancestry(1851 census), as Enock LAVIER, born 1816. Wellington Shropshire..

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

chilterns

Thank you for your prompt reply Steve. You have given me more encouragement to believe what I read.

Enoch and Eleanor were married by Banns on 28th. Nov. 1836 in Wrockwardine, by the Vicar Geo. L. Gate. They were recorded as Bachelor and Spinster. The register was signed by both of them with their mark, although I can't read the signatures of the witnesses either on my copy of the register or at the Record Office.

It's still a mystery where Enoch was at the time of the 1851 Census - perhaps he was down the mine and not recorded ?

Mel

Reputation beyond repute

As there was no Church and consequently no Parish registers for Wrockwardine Wood, I was informed by the FHS member that baptisms for Wrockwardine Wood would have taken place in Wellington
    In that case, you were badly advised. I don't know if you're aware of GenUKI but I would advise bookmarking it

https://www.genuki.org.uk/

It it you'll find...

"WROCKWARDINE-WOOD, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Wrockwardine, county Salop 4 miles W. of Wellington, 5 from Newport, 1 mile from Oaken Gates railway station, and 5 miles from the village of Wrockwardine. A branch of the Shropshire Union canal, which communicates with the Severn, passes through the township. The substratum abounds with coal and ironstone, which are extensively worked by the Lilleshall company on lease from the Duke of Sutherland. The township includes the hamlets of Frenchland and the Nabbs. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £140. The church has recently been repaired. The Primitive and Reformed Methodists have chapels. There are National schools."

chilterns

Thumbs up 1821 Wellington Census

Yes I had read this Peter, but I was also looking at the entry for Wrockwardine Wood at the following link, where there were only entries for Christenings between 1822-1837 and they were only in the Primitive Methodist Church. I would be interested to know therefore if there were Christenings in Wrockwardine Wood before this date

https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ropshire.htm#W

Mel

Reputation beyond repute

But that link is just to IGI batch numbers (and out of date as well). The IGI only contains a small proportion of the data that you actually need.

Look at this definitive (presumably) list of Shropshire RO's PR holdings

https://www.shropshire.gov.uk/media/4...13-version.pdf

It shows Wrockwardine Wood christenings from 1833. This ties up with Wikipedia "the Church of England set up a new parish in 1833 and built a very attractive red brick church (Holy Trinity)."

For earlier christenings you would have to look in Wrockwardine parish (as per GenUKI).

chilterns

I know I started this thread many years ago and wonder if, by now, the 1821 Wellington Census is available online, or do I need to still visit the Shropshire RO ?