Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

In the 1871 census (RG10/676, folio 79, page 15)
    Hentietta CHAPMAN died 1861 Camberwell

widower Benjamin CHAPMAN remarried 10 January 1864 St Leonard Shoreditch to spinster Emlen WHEATLEY aged 35 witnesses were Edward H APPERSLEY & Eliza APPERSLEY, Emleb CHAPMAN died 1910

There were at least 3 siblings Emlen b 1865 / Henry b 1867 / James 1869 of the marriage

It is this family together with Benajamin b 1851 who are on the 1871 census at Grosvenor House which might be a Laundry ( Trade directory?)

Benjamin appears to be missing with his young famil from the 1881 census, I suspect looking at the census ( page turning) where Emlen CHAPMAN & children are you may find Benjamin!

Famous for offering help & advice

As no one else could find them in 1881 & I have just gone back from Emlen Chapman for a few(16) pages & can't find them could you tell me what you mean by I suspect looking at the census ( page turning) where Emlen CHAPMAN & children are you may find Benjamin or was it just a random statement? Thanks

Hello

I was working on the basis that the family seem to have stayed close to 'their roots'

I think Benjamin b 1819 died 1881, and that Emeln was a widow on the 1881 census.

Sarah Francis b 1876 died soon after ( just cannot recall if i saw 1877/1878)

Cannot see anything for Alfred Webster CHAPMAN other then the baptism.....

Other than totally mistranscribed the only other thought is, is ALL that part of the 1881 census on line

Famous for offering help & advice

It should be online. Problem is I can't be 100% sure that both parents were alive in 1881. But Benjamin & Sarah had their youngest child, Thomas Eldred, in Kent in 1880, though he was baptised in Walworth (Surrey) so there was some movement around by that branch.

Hmm Mitch, wondering about this 1881. The children's first names and ages correspond with what you know, as does Benjamin's occupation, but they're entered as Webster and Benj. wife is Kate not Sarah Ann, thought it worth bringing to your attention.

Benjamin Webster 35, Bricklayer, Kennington
    Kate Webster 27, Norfolk
    Alfred Webster 9, Camberwell
    Benjamin Webster 2, Camberwell
    Thomas Webster 7 months, Chislehurst Kent

RG11; Piece: 857; Folio: 124; Page: 59

Hatshepsut

Good luck Mitch...I understand your frustration as the Chapmans are one of my brick walls too. Unfortunately not on your branch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    .The parents MIGHT be the couple who marry at Walworth St John on the 27 Oct 1877 - Benjamin CHAPMAN, Labourer & Sarah Ann WEBSTER.
    Sarah Ann Webster's father on marriage cert is - Walter William Webster, I'm unsure what it says for his occupation, can you read it? I'm not trying to over complicate the search by introducing the Websters' but trying to establish if the 1881 census I posted at #15 could be Benjamin & Co.

However........ though Kate? says she was born Norfolk unfortunately no town is entered. There is a Walter W Webster right age to be Sarah Ann's father, but he doesn't have a dau named Sarah, Ann or Kate!!! He's in Pancras 1861, Lambeth 71 and Newington 81.

1861, St Pancras

Walter W Webster 32, Horse Keeper, Mottisher Norfolk
    Jane Webster 38, Stockwell Surrey
    Jane Webster 6, Stockwell Surrey
    Alfred W Webster 5, Middlesex
    Walter W Webster 3, Pancras
    William T Webster 2, Pancras
    John W Webster 3 Months, Pancras
    RG 9; Piece: 104; Folio: 39; Page: 1

This family seem to go in for name changing, as now Walter's wife is Frances, could be a 2nd wife I suppose who coincidentally was also born Stockwell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1871, 7 James Place, Vauxhall, Lambeth
    Walter Webster 42, Horse Keeper, Matteshan Norfolk
    Frances Webster 48, Stockwell
    Alfred Webster 15, Bow
    Walter Webster 14, Bow
    Fredrick Webster 10, Bow
    William Webster 12, Bow
    John Webster 8, Bow
    Edward Webster 6, Bow
    RG10; Piece: 676; Folio: 102; Page: 30

1881, 14, Cooks Road, Newington
    Walter Webster 52, Farrier, Norfolk
    Francis Webster 57, Stockwell
    John Webster 18, Pancras
    Eldred Webster 16, Pancras
    RG11; Piece: 539; Folio: 103; Page: 31

I reckon the two Janes' in 1861 above should be Frances and Sarah Ann.

Baptism 15 Oct 1854 Brixton St Matthew, Sarah Ann Webster dau of Frances and Walter William occ. Veterinary Surgeon (is that a pretentious name for Horse Keeper!?) address Stockwell.

5 Oct 1870, Kennington, Eldred William Webster son of Frances and Walter William (Ostler) address 7, James Place.

The other children's baptism are also on Ancestry.

So, make of it what you will, Mitch

I'm inclined to think the 1881 census at #15 is the family you are researching, but it's your call and needs to be the right folks to build a family tree for your friend.

Wish I could find them in 1891, so far no luck.

Sarah Ann's father, but he doesn't have a dau named Sarah, Ann or Kate!!!
    His wife is Jane and it should be Frances and there is a daughter Jane......could she be Sarah Ann?

I too found the WEBSTER family in 1881 I then found the potential death of Sarah Framcis b 1876 ( assuming the 1874 had died) so I would tend to agree this is your family in 1881

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast