Thread: Place: Treowen

stonecottage

Default Place: Treowen

Hello,
    I have received the 1844 birth registration for the fourth child of James Williams (tailor) and Elizabeth Williams, nee Williams. They appear in the 1841 census as living in Pembroke Dock. Their fourth and last child was Lesley Williams. His birth registration shows his birth and his father's residence in Treowen, in the parish of St. Mary, sub-district Pembroke, county of Pembroke. I have been unable to find the location - I am thinking that it was not a village, but a place somewhere near the Haven. I am hoping that someone local might know of it.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Robin

Hello Robin,

When looking for British place names this site is the one I find most useful. https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/Pembroke/StMary/
    From that page you will find this 'Ebenezer Wesleyan chapel, Wesley Row, Treowen, Pembroke Dock'

If you search Google Maps for 'Treowen Road' it will give you a hit; I guess Treowen Road will be very near to the birth place.

stonecottage

Default Treowen

Thank you so much! I had tried Genuki but obviously not on the right pages! This is great!

Robin

Orielbenfro

Default Location of Treown

Whilst composing my book on the headstones of Park Street Cemetery P.D., and doing the biographical research I also had the problem of identifing 'Treowen".
    It was the plot of land between Bethany Chapel and the Defensible Barracks. On modern maps of P.D. thats Kitchener Close and Presely View off Bellevue Terrace.
    Rgds
    Owen Ap Benfro

gasser

found this link to an old map c. 1865 which gives an idea as to how it was in the timescale you mentioned in your first post.
    https://www.
    pembrokedock.org/h_maps_5.htm

stonecottage

Owen,

Thank you. The map is great - I've spent the last hour browsing the maps and the rest of the site. This is very helpful - in my mind's eye I can now see James & Elizabeth's children walking the lanes and playing in the countryside.

Robin