Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Florenceanne

Default Hollinwood Canal lock keeper

I am struggling to link in a family member we have found worked as a lock keeper he has a photo on hollinwood lock.

https://www.hollinwoodcanal.co.uk/images/hol903b.jpg

Thomas Stanfield is remembered by some of the older relatives but linking him in is proving difficult.

Are there any dates available? Even rough ones?

And I've just noticed - a new member!
    Welcome to BG. I think that you'll find that we have some expert brickwall demolishers.

Florenceanne

I have no official dates for him his brother James was born 1895 and Harry is said to be 1896. We do not know if Thomas is older or younger than them. It is only since the picture that I started to ask about him I knew of the Uncle Harry as he moved to America and kept coming home with a big yankee car so stuck in their minds. Poor Thomas working hard on locks all day was forgotten.

The census should be the place to go, then. Maybe the 1901, since the family's most likely to be together while the boys are young. Do you know where James was born? And either of his parents' names?

Florenceanne

James was born in Droylsden but births tend to show as Ashton Under Lyne 1895 died in France 1918 he Married Louisa Whittenbury
    who was born 1895 died 1952 they had 1 son James Stanfield born 1914 died 1990 1 daughter Emily born 1917 Emily is still alive but has no memory now she is in a nursing home.

Their address in 1918 was 17 Chapel Street Droylsden manchester.

I see that James worked as a boatman for the Canal Company, buy Harry was in the cotton mill. There's no mention of Thomas with the family.... Are you sure he's a brother, and not maybe a cousin?

Florenceanne

I am not sure just two members of the family said he was Uncle Thomas until that picture I hadn't even had a mention of him but I now have a small box of old family photos to scan in will see what turns up from them.

Florenceanne

I have been told that their mothers maiden name was Morris the children where calle James Sarah Harry and Thomas. Dates around 1887 to 1911 for Marriage and births. Again Droylsden is the only area they remember.

RonOne

Quote Originally Posted by Florenceanne View Post
    James was born in Droylsden but births tend to show as Ashton Under Lyne 1895 died in France 1918 he Married Louisa Whittenbury
    Cheshire BMD gives sub-district and in some cases mother's maiden name, hope these help, bear in mind they may or may not all be the same family.

All births Sub-District: Audenshaw (which covers Droylsden) - All with Mother's Maiden name MORRIS
    1888 John William STANFIELD - Ref: AUD/54/48
    1889 Ephraim STANFIELD - Ref: AUD/55/84
    1891 Mary STANFIELD - Ref: AUD/57/68
    1892 Frank STANFIELD - Ref: AUD/59/61
    1894 James STANFIELD - Ref: AUD/61/55
    1895 Harry STANFIELD - Ref: AUD/62/98
    1897 Sarah Ann STANFIELD - Ref: AUD/64/65
    1901 Thomas STANFIELD - Ref: AUD/69/33

Possible marriage for their parents:
    Frank STANFIELD and Sarah MORRIS - 1887 at St Peter, Ashton-under-Lyne

Source: https://
    cheshirebmd.org.uk/

RonOne

Not all the children appear to have survived. Check the death indexes on Cheshire BMD.

Possible death registration:

Cheshire Death indexes for the year 1890
    Ephraim STANFIELD - age 0 - Sub-district Audenshaw - Registers at Tameside - Ref: AUD/34/39

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast