womenswrites

Default Jane Stirling b. 14 Feb 1865 info?

Hi Lanarkshire peeps!

I'm looking for info on my ancestor Jane Stirling b. 14 Feb 1865 New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland, married John Sutherland and they had twelve children I think, one of them my great grandfather William Sutherland who emigrated to the US and married my gr grandmother in 1906 in Chicago.

Family lore has it that Jane or her forebear was a capital L Lady.

All help much appreciated!

Beth

Have a read of Lesley Robertson's "sticky" threads at the top of the General Scottish Forum

In particular you will probably need to register with Scotlandspeople. This is a pay per view site, but you can buy credits quite cheaply with a credit card and download birth, marriage and death certificates (post 1855) and pre 1855 parish registers.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Could you tell us what you have in the way of certificates and what they say. When was your gt grandfather born ?

Sue's right, you need her birth certificate. It'll give you her parents, and other useful info. The census will give you transcriptions of entries, and will list the children.
    Good luck.

I can never resist. I've had a look at Scotlands People, and can't find her birth or marriage.
    What was your grandfather's birthdate?

I have had a look at the Scotland census entries and the most likely family is John Sutherland b C1836, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire and his wife Jane / Jeanie. They have a son William born C 1878.
    A search of Scotlands People for the marriage of John Sutherland and a wife with a name beginning with J and a surname of Stirling between 1861 and 1871 in Lanarkshire gives one result. Well worth buying this certificate I think if William’s age fits.

The census records show Jane Sutherland’s birth place as Airdrie, Lanarkshire and a search of Scotland’s people for the above 1840-1845 gives one result, once again worth getting this certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by womenswrites View Post

Jane Stirling b. 14 Feb 1865 New Monkland, Lanark, Scotland

Beth
    Where does Jane's birth date come from ?