Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    booklady

Question Interested in Penryndeudraeth

I have today received a birth certificate for my Grandfather. He was born in Penryndeudraeth at Llwn Ednyfed in 1905. Does anyone know what sort of place Llwn Ednyfed was or is it still there?

For some reason there are no details at all for the Father yet the birth has been registered by the occupier of Llwn Ednyfed not by the mother.

This is the only way I can think of to find out infomation as the names involved are Williams and Jones so I'm afraid without information on the place it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Many thanks for any light anyone can shed on this.

Wirral

If there were no details of the father, then it is likely that the birth was illegitimate. Maybe Llwn Ednyfed was a home for unmarried mothers.
    It's a beautiful part of the country. To the north & east are the mountains of Snowdonia, to the south the "Afon Dwyryd", the river which flows into Cardigan bay just north of Harlech. A couple of miles from where we go camping.

booklady

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for replying Wirral. I thought it might be a home for unmarried mothers too. It also states she was a Domestic Servant in Ffestiniog. I was hoping that someone might know if the building is still there and called that and whether any locals have any information on the dwelling. How big would you say Penryndeudraeth is these days? Obviously it would have been smaller then.

Wirral

I think I would class it as a large village now. Although it might have been bigger in the 19thC as Blaenau Ffestiniog was a huge slate mining area. Portmadog was built to export the slate worldwide & Penryndeudraeth was on the railway line between the two.

booklady

Question

Thanks again Wirral. Can I pick your brains again?

I've been doing a search on the 1901 census as the birth certificate I have is for 1905. I can't find anything coming up at all for Penryndeudraeth. I've tried searching for Penryndeudraeth as a place and I've done additional searches for Llys Ednyfed as the address and Penryndeudraeth as the place. I have also tried Penryn* and there is just nothing. Any ideas?

Wirral

It had an h in the name then - Penrhyndeudraeth.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Booklady
    LLwn ednyfed was the wokhouse and Penryndeudraeth,also where unmarried mothers had their child and then later it became a hospital...Bron y garth but is now dissused.....
    https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Festiniog/