Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dicks

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    This William Edward is travelling with his wife Ettie age 26, dau Lena age 7 and son William H age 1/4 (meaning 3months?)l
    Pity about that.
    There's also a Wm Dick b 1885 who travelled from Liverpool to Sydney in 1913 who might be worth checking too.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    I am wondering if William Williams and Emma met in Bristol and moved to Glasgow living as man and wife and that Emma then met Mr Dicks and had William Edward. Registered as William Edward Dicks but could possibly have been brought up as a Williams?
    A couple of other possible scenarios...

Emma and William may have changed their name temporarily to Dicks - perhaps in trouble of some sort.

Emma and william (who were childless) may have taken on a neighbour's child, name of Dick or Dicks and registered him as their own but with surname Dicks. (Sounds implausible as I write it but semed a good idea in the middle of the night!)

Who was the informant on William Edward's birth certificate?

Starting to feel at home

Thanks very much for all the possibilities relating to William Dicks,when I get another card for Scotland's People I'll look up the suggestions that have been made.The informant for William Edward's birth was his father,William.It says on the entry that his mother was Emma Dicks,nee Williams,nee Clark.As you don't have to have proof of a marriage when registering a birth in Scotland,I suppose you could say anything!William was recorded as a tramcar driver but he's not on any census that I can find for Glasgow,alone or accompanied!I've wondered if maybe he was married and regardless of her marital status,the ran off together.The permutations of their situation are endless.I think it might help to have a good imagination!!!
    After William Edward's wife died in 1912,in 1914 he went to Australia,to cut a long story short,he was in the Army there but he misbehaved,he returned to Uk in 1917 then he went back to Oz where he died of a brain problem in 1918.
    Once again,many thanks for all the help,I'm sorry I haven't logged on for a while but I'm still looking for anything that throw a light on William Sr's life.

Hello again

I had a few credits doing nothing so I had a look at the 1898 Emma Williams death (post 7). Interesting.

Emma Williams married to William Williams , tram car driver
    Died 39 David St Camlachie Glasgow.
    Father William Clark, occ tailor, deceased.No details for mother.
    Informant William Williams, widower.

If you have access to census details could be worth checking this family, (William and Emma born England) (possibly 1881 in Anderston, 1891, 1901 Camlachie) as I somehow believe they are yours. Also possible death for William 1901 Camlachie. Whether William Williams and William Dicks are one and the same person or two separate people, I have no idea!

Starting to feel at home

Thanks so much for that,it certainly makes sense.I will have a look at the census and see what you have found.It looks as though there were possibly some "shenanagins"going on.When I see the census I'll have a better idea as date and place of birth will be there. Everything fits,as you say,the same person or 2 we don't know at the moment.
    I'll get back to you.

Sorry unable to check any census details for you so may be wrong!- also it looks from the index that William is poss with a Mary in 1891 but that could be a mistake.

Will be offline for a few days so not ignoring any posts.

Starting to feel at home

Sorry not been on line before now,I spent a month in hospital,didn't realize how ill I was.Now I have checked everything out and I've found that everything fits.On the 1881 census William Williams and Emma are living in Whitehall Street where Wm Ed was born,can't find them in 1891 but 1901 Wm Williams and Wm Ed Williams are living in Camlachie and Wm is a tram car driver. William Dicks was born in Southampton in 1838 to Daniel and Hester Dicks,a William Williams was also born in Southampton same year but about 3 months apart.Why Wm Dicks took another man's identity I doubt we'll ever know.Wm Ed married in 1906,had 3 children then in 1912 his wife died.He went to Australia,I think someone has the name of the ship which I would like to know.Don't know what he did for 2 years but in 1916 he joined the Australian Army and was sent overseas to England and France.I have found his Army records,he was dicharged from the army in 1917 and went to Kurri Kurri to work in the coal mines.He died in Dec 1818 of a brain abcess.
    I would be grateful to know the ship he sailed on in 1914 other than that I think I more or less have as many answers as I'm going to get.Thanks for all the help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12