Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Signalman in Glazebrook and Woodley

My great grandfather Joseph George moved to Cheshire from Scotland some time between 1871 and 1880. Family believed he had moved from Scotland to take up a job as signalman in Glazebrook. However his first known address in Cheshire is Woodley where in 1881 he is a signalman living with his wife and baby ( on Hyde Road - and on the census what looks like "Staffords Houses"). By 1891 he is living in Rixton which is much nearer to Glazebrook and where his wife originated from so I presume he would then be working at Glazebrook station.

Has anyone heard of Staffords Houses? Were these houses for the railway workers? I wonder if he was working at Woodley station initially.
    Do you think it likely that someone would travel between Woodley and Glazebrook for a railway job in those days?

I have tried unsuccessfully to find railway records for Joseph.
    Any suggestions? Thank you

Reputation beyond repute

Has anyone heard of Staffords Houses?
    No but did you notice the surname and occupation of the first enumerated occupant of Stafford's Houses?

Were these houses for the railway workers?
    Apparently not. Have a look through the occupations of the other occupants.

Glazebrook came under Cheshire Lines Committe. You might like to contact https://www.railwayancestors.org.uk/
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Thank you Peter. Joseph George appears to be the first one listed in Staffords Houses. In fact there appears to be only one other family ( Whittakers) in Staffords Houses - the father is a miner. Looking at the addresses nearby shows 2 other signalmen living very close by also. How many signalmen would there be to one station? Staffords Houses appear to be very close to the station when looking at the order of addresses on the census.

Thank you Sue. That looks like a very useful website. I haven't come across that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanbrandwood@t View Post
    Thank you Peter. Joseph George appears to be the first one listed in Staffords Houses. I
    If you look at the previous census page that also appears to be Staffords Houses
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If you look at the preceeding page you will see an entry for a Wright STAFFORD living at the address who declares himslef as a builder!!

Thanks Sue. I don't have access to original censuses at the minute but the website I am using only shows up these 2 families living at Staffords Houses. However the previous occupants appear to be miners also, living at "Stafford Yard". Have sent a message to https://www.railwayancestors.org.uk/ Thanks

Hello again geneius. Thank you for that. So it looks like the houses were named after the builder! Interesting to know.

Reputation beyond repute

So it looks like the houses were named after the builder!
    It may not have been the official name. It might just have been a description in the sense that the locals at the time knew that those houses were built by Wright Stafford.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast