Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fiona67

Question William Merrilees

Hi
    I am searching for William Merrilees b about 1820. I know that he married in Barbara Brownhill in 1859 in Adelaide. The marriage record on SA bdm say his father was William Merrilees and that his age was 39. He died in Newcastle NSW in 1888. His death record on NSW bdm says his father was George no mother listed. The family (William & Barbara had 4 children in SA) moved to Newcastle (Carrington) between 1866 and 1868. I can't find any records of any other Merrilees families in South Australia at that time.
    I am looking for how & when William came to South Australia & where from
    Cheers
    Fiona
    Last edited by Fiona67; 03-11-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: more info

Brick wall demolition expert!

I saw your post and thought that Merrilees was a relatively uncommon name, so using the exact spelling option I had a look at UK Censuses to see what I could see.

In 1851 you find 21 in the English Census and 67 in the Scottish Census. From a quick look at the English results, a few were born in Scotland, and then there seems to be one family group in Brighton, Sussex (which is on the English south coast) with the head being born in Scotland, and then others are found in the North East, which makes sense of the Scottish connection.

I also had a look to see if I could see any mentions of William born 1820 with a father called either William or George, but without success.

I don't know if any of this is any help to you at all, but perhaps you should look to Scotland for his origins?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Maybe!!

Baptism: 16 Feb 1834 - St Andrew Holborn
    Name: William Merrilees
    Mother: Hellen Merrilees
    Father: William Merrilees
    Birth: St Andrew Holborn

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Just noticed siblings baptised on the same day 16 Feb 1834

William b 5 Jan 1831 so not your man!

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona67 View Post
    The marriage record on SA bdm say his father was William Merrilees and that his age was 39. He died in Newcastle NSW in 1888. His death record on NSW bdm says his father was George no mother listed.

On death certificates the info is only as good as the informant knew hence there are quiet a few death records with wrong parents etc. With him been alive for his own wedding, well hopefully he was i would say the father noted on that cert. would be the right name.

A fountain of knowledge

Im not familiar with South Australia cerificates. Does his marriage cert. 1859 state where he was born?

Scotlands People lists only one William M. in a search between 1815-1825. He was bap 1815 in Edinburgh,, father Joseph.

Nannas

Hi,
    I think William was married previously in 1855 to Myra WATKINS.
    Also, William and Barbara appear to only have 3 children in SA..1860 William, 1864 George, 1866 Jessie.
    The other daughter Ellen Brownhill was born 1859 to John MANNERS and Barbara BROWNHILL.

I notice there is a SA 1839 marriage for a Barbara Jane MERRILEES to a Robert MILES.

Kellie

Nannas

Hiyas,
    There is a William MERRYLEES (father William) marries 1848 in England to Sarah but I cannot find them on 1851 census.
    I don't have much time ATM but if someone could do a proper check and see if they show in census or have children..(the name MERRILEES does vary between anything from MERRYLEES to MERILUS)

Kellie

Nannas

Hi,
    Do you have the birth certificate for Andrew born 1868 NSW?
    This should give an idea of Williams place of birth and hopefully confirm his age (dob).

Kellie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast