Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCafferty

Starting to feel at home

Default McCafferty

My great gran was Anna McCafferty,she was born in 1856 to Robert McCafferty and Esther Hollinger in Co Down. In 1873 she had a son,William James,in 1875 a daughter Easter and in 1876 a daughter Mary.In 1877 she married the father of the children,Thomas Gunning.By 1881 they were living in Glasgow but Easter wasn't with them.She probably died but where? I can't find a record of it in Irish records or in Scottish ones.I've even thought that maybe she wasn't Thomas' and she was sent to live with someone or she was adopted.because he wouldn't support her.
    Thomas was living in Glasgow,he was a bootmaker,but he kept going backwards and forwards to New Zealand where his brother James had gone to live with his wife.It could even be that Thomas was there all the time but his wife included him on the census here to keep up appearences.In1902 he married again,I think he forgot to get a divorce or thought he was far enough away that it didn't matter!!!
    I know the rest of Thomas' life so that's not an issue.Anna(Annie) however is a mystery,She was on the 1911 census for Co Down,living in Newtownards alone,her 1st name is mis spelt but it's her,both her children William James and Mary were in Glasgow so it would be logical that she'd go there to be near her grandchildren.That doesn't seem to be the case because in 1920 her son William James died and his widow had to go to the parrish for help,in the application it says the both her husbands parents were thought to be in New Zealand.So where did Anna go and where did she die?Sorry to be so long winded but in the past people have given me info that I already have so the only way is to explain everything and what I don't have.

How flexible have you been with the spelling of names in your searches? If you imagine someone with an irish accent giving information to a clerk accustomed to the Glasgow accent, all sorts of errors could creep in. Easter/Esther for a start. Gunning/Cumming, etc, etc.

Starting to feel at home

Hi,Many thanks for your advice,I hadn't thought of trying different spellings and I should have,because on Anna's marriage entry it has her down as McCaffirty,because she couldn't read she would not have questioned what was put on the lines.As far as the child's name goes,I had thought that maybe it was wrong but it seems that Easter was a name that was used in Ireland.Howver Anna's mother's name was Esther and as names were repeated in families,was it that it was mis-spelt in registration or did she intend a deviation of her mother's name?I wiil try spelling of similar names,as you have suggested and see what I come up with.It could be Ireland or Scotland as I don't know the exact year the family came to Glasgow.
    Thanks,once again ,for giving me other avenues to explore

Knowledgeable and helpful

Births, deaths & marriages in Northern Ireland from 1.1.1922 onwards are not on-line anywhere. So if Annie died after that date you won’t find the records on familysearch or any of the other on-line sources. Instead you need to contact GRONI in Belfast and ask them to look for it for you (for a fee).

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro

You say that Easter (Esther) was born in 1875. However what looks to be her birth was registered in 1874 (Newtownards 1874, Vol 16, page 799). I can't see a death listed in Ireland for her under either M'Cafferty or Gunning.
    ELWYN

Starting to feel at home

Default McCafferty

Many thanks again for suggestions,I will try using different spellings,on Scotland's People you can find deaths up to quite recently but you can't see the record unless it's more than 75 years ago.I've tried them,they don't have anything for Anna(Annie)I didn't try Easter so I will do.Does anyone know if churches kept funeral records?If the child wasn't given a funeral as such there would have been a minister at a graveside ceremony.I know that William James was christened at Greenwell St Church with the name McCafferty,no father present but I don't know where the other 2 were christened.
    As for Anna she's on the 1911 census for Newtownards,her first name is wrongly spelt but it is her,on that census she is a "widow" did she know her husband had "married" again? In 1901 she put married even though Thomas was long gone.
    It's bit like a soap opera with the twists and turns!!! Yes I got the birth year wrong,sorry
    Last edited by sandyjose; 04-11-2013 at 3:56 PM. Reason: left something out

Annie (Anney) is shown on the 1911 census as Church of Ireland. Church of Ireland do keep burial records. However don’t expect too much information from them. You are likely to find something like: "Ann Gunning, aged 74, widow, resided Newtownards". Not much more. The records for a burial post 1911 are likely to still be with the local church in the town.
    ELWYN

Starting to feel at home

Default mcCafferty

Thanks for your help,I have Annie in the 1911 census just as you've said.Maybe if I contact different Churches in Newtownards they might have burial records,that's if she died there.Any way will give it a try.

The Church of Ireland is the only church that routinely keeps burial records in Ireland.
    ELWYN

Starting to feel at home

I suddenly thought that Annie could have remarried so I looked for irish marriages and found an Annie Gunning married a John White in 1918.So far I haven't found a death for Annie White but they could have left Ireland.It's a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyjose View Post
    found an Annie Gunning married a John White in 1918.So far I haven't found a death for Annie White but they could have left Ireland.
    Remember that deaths in Northern Ireland, from 1.1.1922 onwards, are not on-line anywhere. You have to contact GRONI to search for them.
    ELWYN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast