Super Moderator

Default Amos Willoughby Stanford

I cannot find a birth registration for Amos Willoughby Stanford who was born around 1864 in Steeple Morden.

His mother was Mary Ann Hammond, his father Ward Stanford.

The 1871 census lists Amos as Amos Willoughby Hammond but I think this is an error.

Can anyone find a birth registration?

Wilkes_ml

Is it possible that his parents married after the 1871 census, maybe one of them was already married? His birth may be registered under the surname Hammond.

edited to say that it appears from the 1871 census that Ward Stanford married Amos' mother after Amos was born, and that Ward Stanford isn't Amos' biological father, otherwise he would have recorded Amos as his son instead of his wife's son.

Wilkes_ml

As Ward's surname is STAMFORD in the 1881 census, I searched on the surname STAMFORD 1863-1864 in Cambridge, and there is a birth registration of a "Male" STAMFORD June quarter 1863 in the Royston registration district which covers Steeple Morden. Ref: 3a 207

Wilkes_ml

And indeed, in the December Quarter of 1863 Ward STAMFORD marries Mary Ann Hammond at Royston registration district Ref: 3a 321. So they married shortly after Amos was born (if the STAMFORD birth is the correct one) , and therefore his surname should have been Hammond.

Wilkes_ml

Or most likely is the birth registration of a Willaby HAMMOND registered at Royston registration district September 1863 Ref: 3a 216, still prior to his parents marriage.

janbooth

I think Michelle has it spot on. From the Cambs FHS Parish Register Transcripts of Steeple Morden:

23 May 1863 Willoughby HAMMOND son of (blank) and Mary Ann, single woman, of the parish

22 November 1863 Ward STANFORD, 20, Labourer, parish of Melbourn, son of David STANFORD, Labourer & Mary Ann HAMMOND, 20, spinster, Servant, of the parish, daughter of William HAMMOND, Labourer. Both marked and the witnesses were George HORSLEY & Mary Ann POTTON, she making her mark.

Janet

Super Moderator

Thanks so much - aren't you wonderful!

Doing this reserch for a friend and she will be very happy to know we have finally traced her grandfather.

janbooth

Glad to be of help. Let me know if you need any other information from the PR Transcripts of Steeple Morden.

Janet