Thread: Doctor records

John miller

Default Doctor records

Hello,
    I wanted to see if anyone could help me trace a doctor who was born in Ireland about 1890+ or - 15 years and resided in Blackburn late 1920`s early 1930`s. Are there any records for doctor`s where place and date of birth are listed
    thanks
    cameron

Famous for offering help & advice

Ancestry have UK medical registers to 1959.

John miller

Is there any information on there relating to the person I am looking for I know the information is vague but do the medical registers have place and date of birth

Default doctors

Who are you looking for?

John miller

I don`t know the name birth 1880-1910 in Ireland residence Blackburn it is possible that he had the surname "stock" but probably not.
    thanks

Sorry when looked further they are basically a directory,so not much use. However other members may know of another source. You could try local records or even library,telephone directory.

Starting to feel at home

Most city libraries will have copies of The Medical Directory going back many years, usually kept in the basement so best to aks for them in advance so they can be found for you. Ask for a selection of years that might be relevant. The entry for each registered doctor will give the year and place that he qualified and list his qualifications. In earlier times a doctor probably took a Bachelor of Science / Chemistry degree at University for 3 years (necessary as doctors dispensed many of their their own medicines) followed by about 5 years at a teaching hospital before qualifying. A rough idea of year of birth can be deduced from that date and the teaching hospital will indicate where a doctor was living during the training years. The Directory for any given year usually lists the current place where they are in practice, which in the case of GP's is often their home addresss. If your particular doctor lived to a good age he may have had an obituray, with useful personal information, written in the British Medical Journal, which might be avaialble through an on-line search.