Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Question Marriage in Constantinople: where to search?

Hi,
    my gg gf, Charles Hamilton of Shoreham married in Constantinople, abt 1860, a woman named Consolata Caruana, probably from Malta. In 1862 they had Charles (jr), in 1863 Elizabeth.

I've already searched for this marriage over Ancestry, Familysearch, Findmypast, Familyrelatives.
    I live in Italy (Palermo) so I cannot access directly National Archives in Kew - maybe the right place where to look for.

So I can search only over Internet. Any suggestion, links, help in general, is warmly welcome.
    Let me thank you in advance
    Roberto

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you checked this Malta Family History site? Mostly for events in Malta I guess but you may be lucky. page two has several Caruana names although I didn't see your Consolata.
    You may pick up something from it.

https://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/second.htm
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Read this Here
    to see what The National Archives says about it's overseas BMD collections. I don't know whether they are able to help you or not. Some of their linked sites are where you have already been searching.

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I would like Waitabit and Chritanel for their suggestions.
    But the search has been unsuccessfull.

Maybe something might be found digging into FO record at the NA. Posted a regquest for help.

Quote Originally Posted by bobangel View Post
    I've already searched for this marriage over Ancestry, Familysearch, Findmypast, Familyrelatives.
    What was his occupation?

If he was in the army, and if you know his regiment, you can have the GRO Regimental Marriages searched. These records are not indexed and not online. For the standard certificate fee of £9.25 you can apply online for a manual search, using the GRO's standard Overseas order form. State clearly that you want a search of Regimental Marriages, and tell them his regiment. If the GRO can't find the record, your fee is refunded in full.

If he was a civilian, one place to search at this date would be the Bishop of London's International Memoranda, now at London Metropolitan Archives, callmark DL/E/E/003/MS10926. These records are indexed but are not online. Basic information is in this Guildhall information sheet, but note that the records are now held at LMA.

https://www.history.ac.uk/gh/overseas.htm

If no-one can visit LMA on your behalf, you would need to commission research. Note that you will not necessarily get the fathers' names in these marriage records.

Geneius, thanks for the link. I'm new here

Post #96 of the earlier thread says ...
    we did not find any trace: Charles Hamilton and Consolata Caruana marriage, about 1860 in Constantinople. The search is still open
    ... so I would still recommend having the Bishop of London's International Memoranda searched, as above

Geneius, nice to hear from you again !! and thanks for displaying the link to previous post.

Kerrywood, my gg gf was a merchantile seaman; indeed I found exceptional traces of tickets for his work, and one with a physical description too.

BMD: Birth known (Shoreham, 1833) - Marriage unknown (may be constantinople abt 1860, with Consolata Caruana) - Death: 1868 in Alexandria, Egypt; got his death cert.

I'll try to search into "Bishop of London's International Memoranda" if I can do over Internet. I'll tell you about results.

It's not an easy task as I thought !! It will take long time !!

From Kerrywood's post, got an indirect suggestion, so I've sent an e-mail to the priest in charge of one of the two Anglican parish in Istanbul.
    I hope to get an answer !!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast