Kirstene

Default Lansdown and Vesta

Hi
    I'm trying to find out info about Syd Lansdown and Lily Lansdown who performed in music hall/revue in 1910s and 20s.
    I have been through the Stage archive and BNA and find their names sometimes together and sometimes separately.
    Syd Lansdown was part of Karno company in 1910s
    Lily Lansdown was leading lady in Belle of New York in 1920s

Can anyone help me with their real names and when/where they were from. I'm assuming they were married or at least had a relationship.

Lily Lansdown could be the same person as Lila Vesta.

THanks
    Kirsten

Have you looked for a marriage for either of them? Of course they might not have married and if they are anything like my great grandparents they used their real names and their stage names with equal freedom, depending on who they were talking to.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

FreeBMD shows a death for Sydney Lansdown aged 64 in the June quarter of 1949, in Romford. Could it be him?
    The only Lily Lansdown they show died in 1926 at the age of 65, so she's probably not your girl.
    Did you loook for them in the 1911 census?
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 14-10-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo

Kirstene

Thanks for your replies
    I can't find a marriage record as I don't know her maiden name and there are too many Sydney Lansdown's. There certainly isn't a Lansdown/Vesta marriage.
    We know Lila Vesta who appears many times from 1927-1939 married Robert Thompson aka Bob E Bayes in 1931 or 1932, and her maiden name was Lilian Simcox from West Bromwich. However there are no marriage records for Thompson/Simcox. The family believe she was married before which could link her in to my lady. There is also no marriage for Thompson/Lansdown.

I've found several Sydney Lansdown's in electoral rolls but no way of proving which one is mine.

Do you know if artists in those days had agents and how you would find out who they were? Would any of their records have been kept? When they performed would they have had contracts? Would the theatres have any records on them?

The only Syd Lansdown's in the 1911 census are too young as I know he was perfoming with Karno company in 1907.

Do you know if production companies have archives. e.g. Lily Lansdown played lead in BElle of New York which was put on by J Bannister HOward's company. I wondered how I would find out if they had any records?

J. Bannister-Howard was the General Manager of the Ben Greet Companies.

If you put Ben Greet Company in to a search engine you will get lots of hits.

Christanel
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Kirsten, I have just come across your post, I am sure you have by now found the information you seek but just incase I think I may have an answer. Lily Lansdown was my great aunt's stage name, her real name was Louisa Elizabeth Linwood she was born 1902 in Edmonton and she married Sydney G Lansdown in 1926 in Lambeth Surrey. Sidney was born 1888 in Lambeth and died in 1951 Lambeth. I would be interested in swapping any of the information you have from the Stage Archive and BNA with stuff from my collection. Regards Karen